Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Swiss chard is so good for you - and absolutely yummy. Not to mention, extremely beautiful.

Dang, that picture looks like something out of the Willie Wonka movie, or something. Plastic food.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Dang, that picture looks like something out of the Willie Wonka movie, or something. Plastic food.
    My mom used to raise it in her little garden. I don't remember it looking like that. It looked like really dark spinach. We used to eat it all the time as kids. I don't remember particularly liking it, but maybe it was my mom's cooking. :D
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Anyone do juicing with veggies?
    I don't know why, but I suspect that kale juice would taste like pond scum and look very similar to it in the process.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    My mom used to raise it in her little garden. I don't remember it looking like that. It looked like really dark spinach. We used to eat it all the time as kids. I don't remember particularly liking it, but maybe it was my mom's cooking. :D
    I think kale lasts forever in the fridge too. I don't recall it ever getting slimy or needing to be thrown away.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I don't know why, but I suspect that kale juice would taste like pond scum and look very similar to it in the process.
    That sounds yummy....

:eek:

Power CUer
    No, but I drink my daily can of V-8 low sodium for 2 extra servings of veggies a day. Do you do it?
    Sadly, no. I am terribly remiss, although I eat salads.

I was asking because a friend of mine was interested in this program:

www.gerson.org

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Your mom grew typical collards, what she posted was rainbow collards.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Power CUer
    Swiss chard is hardly "plastic food", and yes, it does come in quite a color variety. (I like the kind with red veins in green leaves). It's related to beet greens, and just as nutritious. They are NOT collards, which are related to cabbage and broccoli. Totally different plant.

SLW, your mother probably cooked greens too long; most of our mothers did that with most vegetables. I dice the Swiss chard and saute it lightly with garlic, in olive oil; it's wonderful as a bedding for roasted fish, and looks lovely on the plate.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Swiss chard is hardly "plastic food", and yes, it does come in quite a color variety. (I like the kind with red veins in green leaves). It's related to beet greens, and just as nutritious. They are NOT collards, which are related to cabbage and broccoli. Totally different plant.

SLW, your mother probably cooked greens too long; most of our mothers did that with most vegetables. I dice the Swiss chard and saute it lightly with garlic, in olive oil; it's wonderful as a bedding for roasted fish, and looks lovely on the plate.
    You're probably right. She did grow that Swiss chard, not spinach, but she cooked everything too long. Her meat tasted like hockey pucks. A little garlic and olive oil will make almost anything taste good---well, maybe not kale. :D
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    yeah, I meant swiss chard
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry