Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    No. I never got fat from drinking Diet Coke. I got fat from eating too many Reese's Peanut Butter cups and not getting enough exercise.

I did quit the candy when I started exercising, and started eating more homemade sweets instead. I'm not dieting, though.

I'm down another size, since I added riding the bike and lifting some light weights at the gym (3 days or so a week) to my daily lap swimming.
    Don't freak out, but getting fat is not the worst thing attributed to Diet Coke. Read about phosphoric acid and kidney disease. There is only one study, and it's not rock hard science, but the Mayo Clinic suggests that while the accusation against "dark sodas" isn't proven, it's not an essential food and erring on the side of caution might be in order.

Most sources recommend drinking clear sodas. I have started drinking Polar Seltzer waters. It comes in flavors and the neat thing is that when you drink one you are satisfied, you don't feel the need for a refill unless you are actually thirsty.

After reading all this information, looks like I'll have to add it to my shopping list at the Amish markets. That SautA steaming method is the one that my mom used to use all the time. I'm sure she didn't realize that she was using a healthy method, but used to love the green and red cabbage she'd make with a touch of soy. It was about the only thing she made that wasn't totally bland and horrible. I hated her cube steaks.
    They were as tough as shoe leather.

I couldn't find the recipe of the egg rolls. They sound good. SR isn't a big cabbage fan, but hopefully he'll learn to enjoy it. :D
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    .......... SR isn't a big cabbage fan, but hopefully he'll learn to enjoy it. :D
    Tie him up and starve him! By the end of the week he'll be beggin' for it!:)

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Don't freak out, but getting fat is not the worst thing attributed to Diet Coke. Read about phosphoric acid and kidney disease. There is only one study, and it's not rock hard science, but the Mayo Clinic suggests that while the accusation against "dark sodas" isn't proven, it's not an essential food and erring on the side of caution might be in order.

Most sources recommend drinking clear sodas. I have started drinking Polar Seltzer waters. It comes in flavors and the neat thing is that when you drink one you are satisfied, you don't feel the need for a refill unless you are actually thirsty.

The DUmmies were always trying to tell me that aspartame was the problem, and that somehow, Donald Rumsfeld was behind it's use.

Diet Coke is so much better than the product it replaced (Tab), and most of that is due to aspartame being a more pleasant taste than saccherine. I hate coffee and drink Diet Coke the way a lot of people drink coffee. Clear sodas generally don't have caffeine.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post

I couldn't find the recipe of the egg rolls. They sound good. SR isn't a big cabbage fan, but hopefully he'll learn to enjoy it. :D
    1 package of shredded cole slaw cabbage mix (in the bagged lettuce section of regular grocery)

Pam or spray olive oil

garlic powder (or minced garlic)
    onion powder
    a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar
    Mrs. Dash "Steak" seasoning

Put the slaw mix (this is not dressed cole slaw, it's just the vegetables you can shred or mince of head of lettuce if you want but it won't have the carrot and purple cabbage for color) in your best teflon pan, sprinkle with garlic, Mrs. Dash, onion powder and balsamic vinegar and about two cups of water and cook on high until pretty well wilted. Drain in colander and put in a bowl and stick it in the fridge while you make the sauce.

Sauce:

pineapple juice 1 cup
    rice vinegar 1/2 cup
    water 1/2 cup
    cornstarch 2 tablespoons
    crushed red pepper (to taste)

Okay so after you empty the pan of the cabbage mix, use the same pan if you like, or a small good teflon pan. I keep saying "good" and "best" for teflon because fat free cooking sticks to beat pans.

Put the juice in the pan and bring to a boil. Add the peppers, vinegar and (having whizzed the corn starch with the water) add the cornstarch/water. Stir on high heat until thickening begins. Pour in a tupperware and set aside.

Use Filipino Lumpia wrappers in the blue box only (oriental market). They are very thin. The blue box has paper separations and the red box wrappers are almost impossible to peel apart. Add filling (whatever amount you want, but remember that these are not sturdy wrappers), I use 35 grams of filling. Roll and fold like an eggroll. Place in your cleaned pan which has been sprayed with olive oil. Cook on high rolling and turning the last ones as you add the new ones. Let them get a little burnt. I have no idea if cooking on a lower temp and rolling often will produce uniform browning, but I don't have the patience for that and you have more than one panful to cook. Remove when done and plate.