Thread: Steel Cut Oats

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Steel Cut Oats 
    My recent obsession is the oatmeal with brown sugar crumbles from Jamba Juice. It is heavenly. But it's expensive.

So I've decided to see if I can replicate the recipe at home.

According to their webpage, they use steel cut oats and soy milk.

Now don't laugh but I've only ever made instant oatmeal at home. And I've also never cooked with soy milk. :o

So I'm not quite sure where to begin.

Do you cook with steel cut oats? From what I gathered online, I should let the oats sit in water overnight but I don't know how that would work with soy milk. Is it something I could do in the morning? I'm up pretty early so if there is a bit of a cooking time, that wouldn't be much of an issue.

Any advice?

You could soak them overnight in a little water and then cook them the next morning. Try a 1 part oats to 3 parts water thing. They take about a half hour or so on low heat (my BIL eats this for breakfast when he stays with us). Add the milk or whatever after you've cooked it.

I think that steel cut oats are what I know as rolled oats, the flat rough grain. I use them a lot. There are many recipes for porridge all variations on the same. You can soak the oats overnight in the milk/water you are going to cook them in but that isn't necessary. In the colder weather I make porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast in the microwave. That is simple. Mix the oats and liquid (I use water) together, microwave for 1 minute then stir, then microwave for a further minute and stir and then again for a further minute and stir again before serving. Add sugar/sweetener/butter etc to taste. Adjust cooking times to your own microwave until you get the consistency you like, but be sure to stir as it will overflow otherwise.

Here is a recipe I found using soya milk. I don't use soya because it is Satan's own offering but each to their own. :D

Ingredients
    30g (1 oz) porridge oats
    225ml (8 fl oz) water
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon wheatgerm
    1 teaspoon flaxseed oil
    4 tablespoons soya milk

Preparation method
    1. Mix the oats and water and microwave on medium power for 5 minutes. Stir in the honey, wheatgerm and flaxseed oil. Top with soya milk.

Steel cut oats are this crap:

Rolled oats are just regular oats over here.

Power CUer
    Nope, very different. These are rolled oats:

and these are steel cut oats, much more like kernels, and very flavorful:

These are the ones I use, and when I soak them overnight first, they'll cook in about 15 minutes.

"Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Thanks. Well ignore my recipe, I haven't cooked with steel cut oats either. :)

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Thanks. Well ignore my recipe, I haven't cooked with steel cut oats either. :)
    You haven't missed much (Sorry, Jen). Oatmeal belongs in cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post

These are the ones I use, and when I soak them overnight first, they'll cook in about 15 minutes.
    So do you do the 1 part oats 3 parts water that Ginger was recommending? Or do you do something else?

Sounds like a healthy choice to start your day...

Maybe read a few labels at the grocery store and see if that gives you any ideas...

I think it might be easier just to have this for breakfast:

I make my own cream of wheat some mornings, but never tried steal oats...but you can apply the same recipe, I would think. I use farina.
    I use cinnamon stick, cloves and sugar to flavor the milk before I add the farina. Then I sprink with powdered cinnamon, brown sugar and rainbow sprinkles:D

I buy the Quaker instant brown sugar oatmeal when I want to switch it up.