Thread: Catching a liar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In many years of sales I've learned it's best to travel the high road. There have been numerous instances of co-workers and bosses not travelling that road. Generally they get caught. When it would get too bad, I've gone up a step (generally never do) if they've impacted me directly. With a no-nonsense reputation, I was generally listened to as didn't make a habit of being a "tattle-tale." It had to be really bad for me to say something.

Usually liars trip themselves up as it's tough to be consistent in those lies. The key is documentation as the others have said and developing an aura of someone who shouldn't be crossed.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Usually liars trip themselves up as it's tough to be consistent in those lies. The key is documentation as the others have said and developing an aura of someone who shouldn't be crossed.
    Most companies develop policies that crosscheck these types of things. Either that or they have uncontrollable costs, aren't competitive and go out of business. I'm not in a traveling or sales position, but I would think that company policies would be something along the lines of, "trust but verify".

The only thing that compares in my company is hours tracking. In my position I work remotely a lot, and could easily log that I was working all weekend, while I fishing. These extra hours don't make much difference to me immediately, because I'm a salary employee, but they are used for performance based bonuses and raises. I can get end of the year bonuses, or even a permanent additional annual raise based on hours worked, and projects completed and that sort of stuff. You can bet that they check emails, hours I was logged into the remote access system, and productivity reports from my manager and project management department before they hand out the cash, or laptop, or iPad or whatever the bonus is. I've never done it before, but I'm reasonably sure I'll get fired on the spot if I ever try to fudge these numbers.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Most companies develop policies that crosscheck these types of things. Either that or they have uncontrollable costs, aren't competitive and go out of business. I'm not in a traveling or sales position, but I would think that company policies would be something along the lines of, "trust but verify".

The only thing that compares in my company is hours tracking. In my position I work remotely a lot, and could easily log that I was working all weekend, while I fishing. These extra hours don't make much difference to me immediately, because I'm a salary employee, but they are used for performance based bonuses and raises. I can get end of the year bonuses, or even a permanent additional annual raise based on hours worked, and projects completed and that sort of stuff. You can bet that they check emails, hours I was logged into the remote access system, and productivity reports from my manager and project management department before they hand out the cash, or laptop, or iPad or whatever the bonus is. I've never done it before, but I'm reasonably sure I'll get fired on the spot if I ever try to fudge these numbers.
    And that's how it should be. Companies that cut corners or look the other way when their employees do it generally can't compete in this economy. My ex-company terminated the president when he was caught with certain expenditures for equipment for home use, written off to the company. He also "spent too much" for entertainment. The next one was a long time employee who in my opinion liked to hear himself speak too much and made bad business decisions. He was ruthless, demotivated the sales reps, took away any speck of objectivity in the awarding of sales achievement trips by giving them to cronies, not achievers. The owners finally wised up and did another termination.

I taught secondary education (blush, English and political science) for almost two years. I hated it, as I saw the quality (or lack of) of many of my fellow teachers. I bailed and went into business. In 30+ years in federal marketing, I saw many lying sales reps come and go, mostly go. I was at times lectured for my ethics, saying I was too principled. They forgot that I was one of their few employees who kept the same clients for 20+ years (worked for several different companies in the 30 years). Honesty pays. At least I could sleep nights and not worry about meeting some irate customer while out shopping or at a social event.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Banned
    Thank you all for your wonderful tips they have been great and the great news is the liar got FIRED!!he got busted by the boss on Facebook when he forgot to log out when he went to "lunch" with his girlfriend

:)Patience. There is no substitute.;)

"Just you wait 'Enry 'Iggins, just you wait....."