Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Attention Disorder On the Rise 
    The number of children diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder rose more than 30 percent over the past decade, with much of the increase likely due to more awareness and diagnosis, according to a new government report.

Wider access to health-care services and increased recognition of the disorders mean more children are being diagnosed, said Lara Akinbami, lead researcher for the report, which was published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "It's unlikely that most of this is due to a new epidemic of ADHD," Dr. Akinbami said.

The percentage of children ages 5 to 17 who had ever been diagnosed with ADHD rose to nine percent for 2007 through 2009, encompassing about 4.7 million children, from 6.9 percent, or about 3.6 million children, in the period from 1998 to 2000, according to the report, compiled by the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics. The prevalence of ADHD in children of families living below the poverty line rose nearly 40 percent, and it rose 50 percent among kids in families with income just above the poverty line.

The findings suggest that increased awareness, outreach groups and improvements in health care are encouraging more low-income parents to bring their children to pediatricians for diagnosis, said Ruth Hughes, chief executive of Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, a nonprofit organization that advocates for support for children and adults with ADHD.
    The rise in diagnoses is significant for health systems and schools, as kids with ADHD use more services like special-education classes, Dr. Akinbami said. The estimated cost to society of children and adolescents with ADHD totals about $42.5 billion a year, according to a 2005 study led by the State University of New York that factored in health care, education, parental work loss and juvenile-justice costs.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/0...#ixzz1VbPbuyKc
    Whatever!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I like sandwiches.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Whatever!
    The more kids with an diagnosed disorder, the more money they can suck out of the government,..Same thing with the special needs budget,In some school systems it now exceeds the entire school budget.....If they have a problem with a kid they stick him or her into a special needs program just to get them out of their class rooms.. ...Attention Disorder,...When I was a kid it was called day dreaming...

ADD Doesn't go away with age. Most articles - and this is one - only deal with children's ADD, thereby implying that it goes away at some point.

People with ADD learn to cope with it. Some do better than others, but I can tell you it is a nuisance no matter what your coping mechanism may be.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    ADD Doesn't go away with age. Most articles - and this is one - only deal with children's ADD, thereby implying that it goes away at some point.

People with ADD learn to cope with it. Some do better than others, but I can tell you it is a nuisance no matter what your coping mechanism may be.
    The same with reading Dyslexia..Lots of people are Dyslexic and go through life reading and then verbalizing the words to remember them,in essence transferring the words to a different part of the brains memory.
    ....Although,in some cases,It seems to resolve it self with age.....There seems to be separate parts of the brain that store memories of what we see,what we hear and what we say...Children with reading difficulties are encouraged to verbalize as they read to reenforce learning..

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I like sandwiches.
    The percentage of pathological sandwich likers has risen dramatically over the last 30 years, as more and more ways for doctors and pharmacists to profit from it and parents to excuse normal behavioral problems which require nothing more than parenting or in extreme cases a semester at military academy have increase exponentially.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post

I've always been easily bored, easily distracted, and have had difficulty concentrating. Contrary to what some here would like to think, I am pretty high up on the IQ scale, and did really well in school as long as there was a great deal of structure, which means that college was a test of my coping skills more than my intelligence because there is virtually no structure to college.

I am not saying that ADD doesn't exist. I am saying that I would probably have been diagnosed with it my some people had they been around in 1964 when the system forced a highly active, creative, and fun loving boy to put shoes on and go sit still for hours on end in a hot classroom because some Amish spinster thought that boys needed to be tamed to be taught. In the process, I so learned to love the silence and order, that any interruption to that order became intolerable to me, so my parents put me in a Catholic school. I found the discipline of Catholic school to be almost as good as could be expected. A brief stint in public school after than destroyed any joy of learned I had had. School became something to be endured toward a goal of getting out of school and into the real world.

huh ???
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Did someone say sandwich? MMMMmmmmmm :D
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

The number of children diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder rose more than 30 percent over the past decade
    I'm not saying that there are not children that don't need medication.

But many doctors are allowed by parents to over medicate their kids.

I like to call it "babysittter in a bottle"

Guess what, Medicaid pays for a lot of these drugs for kids, like 100% if the family qualifies....