Thread: Beware of the mold

1. #1 Beware of the mold 
    There are some benefits to having a home without a basement. At least we don't have to worry about this. I had a house in St Louis about 20 years ago where a fradulent home inspector and real estate agent and really dishonest former owner (an attorney) hid the signs of the basement problem and absolutely didn't disclose the info. I spent way too much time with a squeegie in the basement. getting the water to roll into one of the drains. I had to cut the carpet with a huge x when I discovered a drain that had been covered. At least the water drained better. I took a $20k loss on the place, disclosed the now obvious info and they had the walls of the basement literally moved and shored up.

I felt better shortly after getting out of that place. Beware mold---it really can affect your health.

Ask Dr. Beth Corn
    What Are the Signs of Mold Allergy?

Medically reviewed by Ed Zimney, M.D.

Q: We found some mold growing in the wall of our laundry room (in the basement). So far, everyone in the family is fine, but what symptoms should we watch for if the mold does cause health problems?

A: Mold produces microscopic fungal spores that can become airborne and trigger allergic symptoms when inhaled. Indoors, mold can be found in damp basements, bathrooms or areas that have been flooded. Mold can also be found outdoors in grass, leaf piles, mulch or around mushrooms.
    Symptoms resulting from mold include sneezing, runny nose, postnasal drip, itchy eyes, difficulty breathing, skin rash and lethargy. I recommend continued cleanliness in the basement as well as a dehumidifier, which can slow down the rate of mold growth.
    Learn more in the Everyday Health Healthy Home Center.

Last Updated: 10/27/2008 | Last Reviewed: 10/27/2008
    Asthma and allergy expert Dr. Beth Corn is an assistant professor of medicine at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, where she is chief of the asthma-allergy clinic.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My last class in college, I had to write a paper about mold and it's health effects. When I go to work tomorrow I'll post up some of the links I used for references.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Mold is everywhere. In fact, a fairly large portion of the world's biosphere is mold. And most of it, to most people is harmless.

I was a licensed home inspector and got lots of questions about the stuff, so I used to carry a publication around with me to hand out.