Thread: Hurricane Irene!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Are you near the coast? We're about 2 1/2 miles inland. SR loves tracking these things. They just frighten me. He's been stopping me from taking the little garden decorative things out of the backyard, says we should wait.

About 2-3 miles from the beach...but I'm not in an evacuation zone as I am West of I95.My house has hurricane impact glass windows...but I would still go to my dad's house...as he has accordion shutters, but more importantly, he has a generator and a gas grill....:D

Fabulous Poster
    Thankfully I live in the magic no hurricane zone.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    About 2-3 miles from the beach...but I'm not in an evacuation zone as I am West of I95.My house has hurricane impact glass windows...but I would still go to my dad's house...as he has accordion shutters, but more importantly, he has a generator and a gas grill....:D

You'll be fine.

Looks like San Juan is getting a good blow right now but it's hardly the end of the world. PR will most likely have flooding problems but that's par for the course there.
    May the FORCE be with you!

We aren't in an evac zone either and like Nova said we're in the Magic Area of no hurricanes too.:D

I've been watching the Weather Channel guys today and they are for sure getting the rain slickers out and heading for Miami...

Our house came with the hurricane impact glass. The house was built in 1980, but about 8 years ago the previous owners gutted it and put in all the new windows. Those windows are so thick that we can barely hear when it's raining outside. The weird thing is they left the front and side doors unprotected, so we got accordion shutters made for both. We also got that 160 mph hurricane rated new garage door installed.

We were going to put in a whole house generator, but with no natural gas in our development, it would have cost about $11k to get the propane tank dug and the generator installed. With the constant devaluation of these houses, didn't want to put in the money, so have a large portable generator and an electrical box installed so at least we will have fans, electric range and frig going. (as long as we have enough gas to run the generator).
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Good, looks like the storm predictions have it moving
    more east which will keep the worse winds offshore...

Oh, and it is a hurricane now, barely.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Thankfully I live in the magic no hurricane zone.
    same here, I may live next to some big lakes, but they don't generate anything worse than a tornado or 2
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    same here, I may live next to some big lakes, but they don't generate anything worse than a tornado or 2
    The Tampa Bay area gets some high wind now and then, and a direct hit every hundred years or so. As such, it's on par with Ocean City Maryland.

Seriously, when people say hurricane they think Florida and vice-versa. Hurricanes tend to skirt Florida, they slam Texas and the Carolinas much more frequently it seems.

Looks like they are saying CAT 3 now since it's NOT going to go over the mountains but stay over water. As long as it keeps curving north and east...

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Looks like they are saying CAT 3 now since it's NOT going to go over the mountains but stay over water. As long as it keeps curving north and east...
    Hurricanes are fickle little stinkers......we won't really know for a day. According to this morning, it was moving NW