1. #1 How many DU'ers have long time friends/family who are RW'ers? 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I saw this one yesterday but wanted to let it age a bit...

Of course, her RW friend is horrible and the DUmmie is a saint! Imagine that!

mnhtnbb (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-20-11 01:14 PM
    Original message How many DU'ers have long time friends/family who are RW'ers?

I have one fb friend--a person I worked with (actually hired) many years ago. She and her hubby retired
    to Idaho (that oughta' tell you) several years ago. I'm retired. We've stayed in touch for the 25 years
    since I left the organization where we both worked.

Several years ago she was the first person to send me a 'friend' request on fb. I accepted, but
    really didn't get into it until about 18 months ago. Since then, we've had some battles. I remember
    the first time I posted something political and she reared right up! (Sure...) Wow. Surprised me. So of course
    it turns out she watches Fox, likes Sarah Palin, OMG--the stuff she puts up sometimes--(Yessss...likes Fox, Palin, killing puppies, you know, the usual.) and I by and large
    try to ignore it. Yesterday, she posted this food fight between Bourdain and what he said about Paula Deen. Well, she loved Paula's trash talk comment about "how could he be so mean? Did somebody pee in his cereal?" The day before, she made--and posted--zucchini bread using Paula's recipe. Loaded with oil and sugar. OK. In the last year I've lost 40 lbs. This friend has remarked--and asked--how I did it. I've given her the info. The friend is significantly overweight. (I just thought I'd mention this...) So I posted in response that Bourdain was not smart to insult PD (calling her food 'sucky') because he was on the right side of the issues about the impact of high sugar/high fat content food. Well, my friend kept maintaining that Paula won the argument
    and I maintained that winning the contest of the best insult was not the issue!

OK. I'm going to take this beyond fb and food fights. I'm very concerned that we are more and more
    unable to have a conversation with people who have a different opinion--and this particularly applies to
    people on the right. (Sure you are DUmmies, sure you are.) This a.m. my friend posts on her wall:

Sometimes my posts are just innocuous posts.. I am not looking for a debate on everything I post... so from now on... here is the deal... if you insist on a debate EVERY TIME I post something, including this post.... I am going to SEND YOU TO TIME OUT ON YOUR WALL.. you can debate all you want on your wall.. LOL!!!

So the way I read this is, don't make a comment unless you agree with me. I'm not interested in changing my opinion, not interested in looking at anything from a different point of view, not interested in anything unless it's about me and the way I see the world.

That is sad. Very sad. (Yep!!!!) How are we ever going to get out of the mess we're in if this is what we're up against with the followers of Fox News? This is not the first time I've encountered this attitude with someone I know well, either. My sister in law is a right winger, and boy did we ever have it out during
    the primary season leading up to 2008. When I tried to give her facts, she shut me out with the comment, "I'm not interested in a history lesson, I just agree with xxxxx opinion." In other words, don't confuse me with the facts! (Yes, facts as long as they're Lefty facts...Speak Truth To Power!!!!!!)

I really don't see a way out of our problems if people aren't willing to listen to another view of things.
    It's very, very, discouraging. (Yes. Very.)

What say you, DU'er's? If you've been able to successfully maintain conversations with right wingers
    when you express disagreement, what are your secrets?

And so how does it end up??? Yep, assuming this isn't a delusional make believe rant...

mnhtnbb (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-20-11 11:46 PM
    Response to Reply #75

76. Thanks for everyone's comments I unfriended the person tonight.

If I can't have a conversation with a health care 'friend' about a couple
    of celebrity foodies related to healthy cooking without the 'friend'
    resorting to insults, then I really think the person is not my friend.
    I felt disrespected. Life is too short. So, that's that.

TEH END. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

OK. I'm going to take this beyond fb and food fights. I'm very concerned that we are more and more unable to have a conversation with people who have a different opinion--and this particularly applies to people on the right.
    It sounds like mnhtnbb is the kind of liberal where "having a conversation with people who have a different opinion" means that the liberal states his/her belief and the other person (who has a differing opinion) has to "see the light" about how "right and smart" said liberals is and agree with the liberal.

Then see how mnhtnbb makes it all about politics even though the conversation wasn't about politics at all.

mnhtnbb (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Aug-20-11 01:49 PM
    Response to Reply #12
    15. This wasn't even politics this time. It was about healthy diet. I suspect

since she's addicted to Fox News that's where she heard the story-
    -which was slanted in favor
    of Paula Deen without looking at the deeper issue--because insults and avoiding the topic
    is modus operandi for Fox News. I suspect she didn't like me taking issue with the crap
    she heard on Fox! (Plus, she had just cooked a PD recipe the day before and I had not said one word
    about it on her wall.)
    It's just another liberal acting like a liberal. If it's a true story that is.

ADD:

mnhtnbb (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Aug-20-11 03:14 PM
    Response to Reply #40
    49. That's really interesting clip. The discussion started

about Bourdain playing the game 'who's right'? by insulting Paula Deen who took it
    to the next level by insulting Bourdain back again.

My first post--cuz this friend thought PD's comment was such a great comeback--was
    yes, it was funny, but the issue of how healthy PD's recipes are got lost in the mudslinging.
    I tried to get the issue out front and have a discussion--but all my friend wanted to do
    was say how great Paula Deen's comment was, and my friend in fact called Bourdain a 'pompous ass'.

I continued for a couple of posts trying to retrieve the discussion to be issue focused, but
    all my friend wanted to do was assert who 'won'.

The clip is right: you can't have a discussion when it's all about who wins and who loses.
    So the friend wasn't interested in hearing how unhealthy the recipes are.

And Mnhtnbb was only interested in being declared the winner.........the recipes are unhealthy........and that mnhtnbb was RIGHT.

It sounds like Mnhtnbb is the one who couldn't stand someone not agreeing with her opinion........or even not being interested in discussing her agenda.
    Last edited by Carol; 08-21-2011 at 03:14 PM.

this should be DU motto ...

Think like us, or die !
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

This just prompted me to ask a relative of mine on FB what his DU name is . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.