Thread: Catching a liar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Catching a liar 
    Banned
    My other half has been dealing with a liar at his work and I want to see if anyone has any advice to catch the little POS who is doing it?
    Has anyone ever told a lie or made a statement or promise that they could not back up? With these did you get caught in it?

Quote Originally Posted by noworries View Post
    My other half has been dealing with a liar at his work and I want to see if anyone has any advice to catch the little POS who is doing it?
    Hard to give advice without more details.

Has anyone ever told a lie or made a statement or promise that they could not back up? With these did you get caught in it?
    I try to be a straight shooter, so I'd have to say no.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

You have to have a great memory to be a good liar. That's why I don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    You have to have a great memory to be a good liar. That's why I don't lie.
    Who are you?
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

I work with a habitual liar....

so what's the lie/s?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

There are several ways, depending on the details, that you can use. My children hate the fact that I'm good at this. A few years in military intelligence, and some more years as a squad leader in-charge of 18 and 19 year olds....you just develop a knack for it.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Banned
    Well this coworker keeps on pushing his work on to my hubby and then when he is supposed to be doing work he is busy on Facebook or Twitter.
    He also has been in charge of a huge account and messed up so bad that the client ended up getting charged with a huge fee. He blamed my husband saying he was in charge of reading of the end results. Where it was not the hubby job. He took the chewing out by the boss even though he was not at fault.
    The thing that is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back is this guy has been padding his expense reports to have some special time with his mistress and says it is work related expenses.
    I only know about these things because my hubby comes home every night ready to explode with rage on the little nitwit.
    So any ideas would help:mad:

Well this coworker keeps on pushing his work on to my hubby and then when he is supposed to be doing work he is busy on Facebook or Twitter.
    He also has been in charge of a huge account and messed up so bad that the client ended up getting charged with a huge fee. He blamed my husband saying he was in charge of reading of the end results. Where it was not the hubby job. He took the chewing out by the boss even though he was not at fault.
    The thing that is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back is this guy has been padding his expense reports to have some special time with his mistress and says it is work related expenses.
    I only know about these things because my hubby comes home every night ready to explode with rage on the little nitwit.
    Patience. Guard your (actually, his) own honesty. Document what needs to be documented.

If the boss wants to chew someone out, then hubby should point to the correct dude.

In this situation, it would be best to gather evidence, then take it to management. Document the amount of time he spends on facebook and twitter, and look for proof surrounding the logged expenses.

It may make your hubby feel like a tattle tale for blowing the whistile, but trust me, if this guy is costing the company money, than the company wants to know about it. Unless he's like some bosses relative or something like that.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

I don't know what type of job your other half works at, but at my office the best way to catch a liar in the lie is to match what that person says in writing against what he says verbally.

A coworker of mine got canned for that type of thing (the borderline, narcississtic "christian"). She was caught lying about her field calls-the people she was allegedly visiting denied she had been there at that date and time, but she recorded the contacts in her reports. Not only that, she put in for mileage for calls she never made-when you go beyond CYA and try to make money off of your lies, well, that's what pushes disciplinary action from suspension to termination of employment.