Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I like the idea of "carb cycling"...it's not as restrictive of main food groups...which is a good thing. I may switch to this method after a few weeks on SB....and see if there is a difference.

Thanks for the link!
    The reason atkins and SB dont work well is they force the body to break down muscle and convert it to suger to burn.

A refeed day or two keeps the body from doing this because you replenish gycogen stores.

I cant do this diet now because I compete all the time and need carbs all the time.

But I also eat 4500 cals a day and gain nothing lol
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    The reason atkins and SB dont work well is they force the body to break down muscle and convert it to suger to burn.

A refeed day or two keeps the body from doing this because you replenish gycogen stores.

I cant do this diet now because I compete all the time and need carbs all the time.

But I also eat 4500 cals a day and gain nothing lol
    So how fast does this diet work? I have no patience...I need to see progress after 2 days..:o My goal is to lose 30 pounds.

The big Cheese
    So how fast does this diet work? I have no patience...I need to see progress after 2 days..:o My goal is to lose 30 pounds.
    the first 10 days is no carbs.

30 grams or less per day.

you should lose right off the bat. Take fiber supliments.....

I lost 100 lbs in 10 months
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    In the organic vegetable section at Publix is a "pasta" which has almost no calories, no carbs, and not much of anything.

Thanks, will try some. How does it taste? SR is still getting over the shock of no white rice or regular pasta. It's whole grains for us, now that I'm past that phase 1. :D
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Do you have access to a bike (either riding or stationary) or a pool? The bike is good because it keeps your knee from taking the stress because most of your weight will be taken care of by the seat. Swimming will help your knee in general, because it puts no stress on it. Both are good cardio exercise.

I have bad knees, too, I can relate. I watch the people use those elipticals, and just know those instruments of torture would destroy my knees.

I broke my size 20 plateau by adding biking and weights to my daily swim (35-40 minutes), on weekends (2-3 days a week). I ride for 10 minutes, then do 20 abdominal crunches and 25 back stretches. I decided to add a new weight thing every month, so I added the upper arm pulls this month and do about 10 of those. My newest pair of pants is an 18, and my latest dress is a 1X, so it's working. I plan to add 5 more minutes on the bike by Thanksgiving, along with adding a new weight exercise each month. My 30 year class reunion is September 2012 and I want to be as close to my goal as possible. I am currently smaller than when I graduated from WMU, and if I'm a 16 next year, I will only be one size more than when I graduated from high school. A 14 means regular women's sizes. I'm 5'10", I'll be happy with a 14. I'll probably always be a plus size in shirts, as the girls have not lost any size, but have actually gained one cup size since I started exercising. Most people I know in Detroit have never seen me thin, since I didn't grow up here.

But I'm not dieting. No South Beach, no Adkins, no Weight Watchers. Ice cream is good, I make my own brownies or cookies, which means no preservatives and chemicals to add to the calories. I eat restaurant food pretty much every working day, too.
    I had a nice recumbant bike, but sold it when we moved here. I couldn't use it because my knees are so stiff that they won't bend enough to do a rotation. When I had my first knee surgery it took almost 6 months to make that complete rotation. Everyone in the physical therapy place applauded when I finally did it. I worked like crazy, but then life interfered. When I wasn't doing PT every day, the knee started to stiffen again.

The knee that's getting replaced in October got this way because the other knee surgery was a pretty botched job. I put too much pressure on the "good" knee and it's been destroyed over a 10 year time frame.

It sounds weird to have a pool here and not get in it, but I keep waiting til the afternoon when the water is warmer to go in. But all summer it's been raining almost every afternoon.

I've been doing a lot of exercises every day with a Pilates ring, also the physical therapy exercises to strengthen the legs that I was given when I had the surgery originally scheduled (week after SR ended up having the stroke). The knee almost feels raw now when I walk.

Sounds like you've done great, particularly since you haven't been on a "diet". I think it all boils down to lifestyle changes. I'm looking forward to being able to walk again for distances. The darned knee is limiting my life. I want to go to these beautiful beaches around here, but the physical therapist told me to stay off the sand, too hard on the knee.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

The darned knee is limiting my life
    So sorry to hear this. I hope you are able to get it fixed soon. I know you have a lot on your plate right now.

I like the idea of "carb cycling"...it's not as restrictive of main food groups...which is a good thing. I may switch to this method after a few weeks on SB....and see if there is a difference.

Thanks for the link!

Know where I can get a sample meal plan?

Edit: I found one..http://www.3fatchicks.com/free-sampl...anabolic-diet/
    Is one supposed to eat 5 meals a day??
    Some science claims our body does better on five small meals a day.

For those of us that work, have kids, and even a life...I think that might be difficult. I know a couple over the road truck drivers that did that to lose weight...but it was easy for them to eat and drive for most of the meals...

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Thanks, will try some. How does it taste? SR is still getting over the shock of no white rice or regular pasta. It's whole grains for us, now that I'm past that phase 1. :D
    What these noodles accomplish has less to do with taste than it does with scratching a culinary itch. You'll need to experiment with them, according to your dietary restrictions. They don't hold tomato sauce all that well, but if you drop them in a hot pan with a little olive oil some onion, garlic, and a little romano it's almost food.

Seriously, these noodles aren't gong to replace real pasta, but they are better than nothing. They are also rather expensive. Each pouch is billed as two servings, but I consider it one serving. Then again, when I make mostaccioli for myself, a weigh out two servings (according to the box) because I would rather have one good plate of pasta for breakfast and no lunch, than a little pasta for breakfast and a little for lunch.

The big thing to remember and adhere to is eat real food. Don't eat things that have ingredients you can't pronounce.

Everyone wants quick results...those usually result in the quick return of the pounds... :D