Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    ..and yet another Chicken Little panic merchant heard from

I have been hearing this twaddle for weeks..it, like Global Warming and other doomsday scenarios, will pass away when the sun rises, the birds sing and people head off for work.

Tell me again why I should believe any of these bullshit artists....I meant to ask, has anyone checked with Night Owl to see if the collider has been peer reviewed..?

(I see the joke..I also see that this is yet another ":he worlds going to end" BS story..did you know that the scientists received death threats?)
    Because this, unlike GW, IS man made, and they have no idea of the outcome! Let the pniheads end the world testing thier theory. Don't they watch the sci-fi channel. Doom!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    It's sort of a thinner molasses..very sticky.
    thank you !

noonwitch
    Whatever news show I was watching this morning was really scaring me about this, but then I figured, I've lived a good life and if this is it, I guess this is it.

There is one thing I'd like to do before I die, but somehow I think I could get my 20-something male coworker, who told us all "I'm a freak", to indulge me if it came down to it.

Not to worry - they have back-up systems. (now everybody back-up)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    There is one thing I'd like to do before I die, but somehow I think I could get my 20-something male coworker, who told us all "I'm a freak", to indulge me if it came down to it.
    :eek:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    thank you !
    You're most welcome.

This is what my mother used to use when she made treacle pudding:

I believe it's still available, in the UK.

The relevance to the OP thread is that, were one to drop one's treacle pudding, not only would it have attracted instant maternal wrath, but it would have attracted and permanently attached itself to any object it came into contact with, including coins, carpet fibres, dropped airfix parts,in fact, pretty much anything.

It's not a bad analogy for a black hole, in other words.
    Last edited by hampshirebrit; 09-09-2008 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    ..and yet another Chicken Little panic merchant heard from
    The East Coasters will still be asleep, the Left Coasters will still be stoned, I'll be just waking up, and you will be getting back home after work.

It'd be a real bummer to get sucked in to a black hole AFTER a full day's work.

Looks like you get the front seat for this one. Let us know how it went for you. :p :D

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    The East Coasters will still be asleep, the Left Coasters will still be stoned, I'll be just waking up, and you will be getting back home after work.

It'd be a real bummer to get sucked in to a black hole AFTER a full day's work.

Looks like you get the front seat for this one. Let us know how it went for you. :p :D

I understand that matter is pulled into a Black Hole at the speed of light so we will never what hit us. It will happen in an instant.

You know Bud, this is really a bummer. I never saw it coming. I never figured I would die being pulled into a man made Black Hole here on earth. I always thought I would die of a heart attack or a disease or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I understand that matter is pulled into a Black Hole at the speed of light so we will never what hit us. It will happen in an instant.

You know Bud, this is really a bummer. I never saw it coming. I never figured I would die being pulled into a man made Black Hole here on earth. I always thought I would die of a heart attack or a disease or something like that.
    Old, cranky farts like you don't die. You just rust.:D
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Will the world end on Wednesday?

Be a bit of a pain if it did, wouldn't it? And the most frustrating thing is that we won't know for sure either way until the European laboratory for particle physics (Cern) in Geneva switches on its Large Hadron Collider the day after tomorrow.

If you think it's unlikely that we will all be sucked into a giant black hole that will swallow the world, as German chemistry professor Otto Rössler of the University of Tübingen posits, and so carry on with your life as normal, only to find out that it's true, you'll be a bit miffed, won't you?

If, on the other hand, you disagree with theoretical physicist Prof Sir Chris Llewellyn Smith of the UK Atomic Energy Agency, who argues that fears of possible global self-ingestion have been exaggerated, and decide to live the next two days as if they were your last, and then nothing whatsoever happens, you'd feel a bit of a fool too.

Rössler apparently thinks it "quite plausible" that the "mini black holes" the Cern atom-smasher creates "will survive and grow exponentially and eat the planet from the inside". So convinced is he that he has lodged an EU court lawsuit alleging that the project violates the right to life guaranteed under the European Convention of Human Rights.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...hysics.physics