Thread: Adopt a Soldier : Real Americas Cares For Our Troops

1. #1 Adopt a Soldier : Real America Cares For Our Troops 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    There's still a whole bunch of Good,GOD loving people In America no Mater What the Evil Liberal Media tells you...

I am wanting to join the "Adopt a Soldier" program.
    Have any on you done this?... I have been reading the sight and it doesn't give much info at all..... Do you pick your soldier or is he/she assigned to you? How do you get intouch with them? ...Care packages, ect.... Any help is really appriciated, of cource no info to endanger our troops.
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2767643/posts

COMMENTS:

It’s something you’ll enjoy more than you can imagine! Your soldier is assigned by the “Adopt A U.S. Soldier” staff. The first one we were assigned happened to be a Sgt. and we just couldn’t send him something w/o sending to the 7 under him.....so we actually adopted 8 that time:) It was so touching b/c the Sgt. didn’t ever want anything for himself, his only concern was his men. If ya want more info, I’ll be happy to help ya out - just let me know.
    I forgot to tell ya that when your soldier is assigned, you’ll get email contact info. What they want/need depends on where they are. Some are stationed where they have MRE’s to eat and nothing else, so we went to Sam’s and loaded up on things to send which gave them something other than MRE’s to eat day in and day out. Baby wipes, etc. are good to send to troops stationed in the boonies like that, also.

The one’s stationed on a base that has a cafeteria like to recieve other things. Books, games, etc.

Most of all, every single one of them, no matter where they were, liked the cards and letters that our grandbabies sent to them. Several of the grandbabies classes make cards and that was a big hit, too. They get emails all the time, but they really enjoy getting the “personal” notes, etc. When it’s time for mail call they are ecstatic if they’ve received something.
    I was kinda counting on that. I assumed that if you adopt one you adopt them all. I think that would be a blessing and alot of fun. I have nothing but time now so I can shop and bake. Do something to help them feel less home sick. I would love your help on any helpful tips, what I need know and what to expect.
    Try This site..Adopt-A-Soldier
    http://www.hugsforoursoldiers.org/node/2

Most of all, every single one of them, no matter where they were, liked the cards and letters that our grand babies sent to them. Several of the grand babies classes make cards and that was a big hit, too. They get emails all the time, but they really enjoy getting the “personal” notes, etc. When it’s time for mail call they are ecstatic if they’ve received something......They really do love those cards and notes. Every building I've been in in the war zones have handmade cards, drawings and notes in just about every work area and along all the hallways......It's one of the best reminders that they are not forgotten back home.
    We’ve been doing it since 2009 and it is a blessing:) I would recommend it to anyone. We’ve had so much fun w/it that neighbors and friend have adopted a soldier, too:) We started this after my niece came back from Iraq the last time and it just seemed so strange not to have a soldier to care for. That’s how we found the “Adopt A Soldier” site.

When you sign up on the website, you’ll recive the contact info for your soldier. From there, just drop your soldier an introductory email and ask if he/she has any special requests. I would also ask if he/she is in a remote area (although not where) b/c the remote areas are where they appreciate the baby wipes, etc.

Whatever you send will be shared with their buds:) My dear husband’s homemade deer jerky is always in high demand! The main thing is the “personal” notes and cards. Just knowing someone cares and having something come for them when they show up for mail call seems to mean the most to them.

We even got to send Christmas gifts to one of the soldier’s daughters and wife last year:)

Some of the soldiers have more time/inclination to email than others do, but we’ve always heard back from every single one of them and their humble gratitude....well, I’ll just say it’s brought a tear to my eye more than once.
    Last edited by megimoo; 08-23-2011 at 03:04 AM.