Thread: Crafts

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1 Crafts 
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    335
    Do you do any I enjoy scrap booking as well as needle point anyone out here like to do anything in your spare time?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,661
    Not a crafty person, but did manage to get a large photo that I had purchased into a frame. I was sooo proud! I enjoy dabbling around with decorating without spending a fortune.

    I spray painted silver a large wicker hamper that was Pier One dark brown, then put a very light metallic wash over it. Now it's unique, ditto with the matching wastebasket.

    In the bathroom there were 2 large oval mirrors over the two sinks. In the middle was a large mirror that the original owner had hung. It looked nice enough, but was a 20 year old fruitwood color. It probably was a dresser mirror that she hung vertically. It looked really bad, so I also refinished that in a silvery color to match the other 2 mirros. Now it looks coordinated. All of this only cost me the price of a can of silver spray paint. It's not exactly crafty, but it's my version of it. :D
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    GO CARDS

    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Super Moderator bijou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    I like the idea of crafts but don't really have the patience to stick to one. I do enjoy home projects eg refurbishing old furniture but only do it when I need to. I'm not very artistic either.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,661
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    I like the idea of crafts but don't really have the patience to stick to one. I do enjoy home projects eg refurbishing old furniture but only do it when I need to. I'm not very artistic either.
    Way back when it was the craze to "antique" old furniture, my mom covered so much good furniture with the paint and then a glaze. She ruined everything. When she died my sister had an estate sale. We ended up donating all that furniture. I have an old, simply designed Arts and Crafts wood umbrella stand that's antiqued. I need to find someone to get all that gunk off for me. Right now it's in our garage.

    Did they ever have that craze in the UK?
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    GO CARDS

    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    SEAduced SuperMod Hawkgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,065
    I like ceramics (painting my own), haven't done it in a while...A new shop opened that is closer to home..but hard right now with the baby. I have a lot of things I painted at home. I also really get into gift wrapping..is that a craft? lol
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I like ceramics (painting my own), haven't done it in a while...A new shop opened that is closer to home..but hard right now with the baby. I have a lot of things I painted at home. I also really get into gift wrapping..is that a craft? lol
    When she's a little older you can take her with you. My niece's little girls (age 9 and 6) love to go to those shops. In fact the older one had a birthday party there, where every kid could make their own little thing and bring it home. That little one is so talented. Can't believe my niece let her paint a wall in the powder room downstairs. The art was incredible, not like a kid's art. I'd love to post a pic of the art, but the little one is in the pics and know my niece wouldn't want me posting her pic here.

    Even SR was totally impressed. I'd let her do a wall here. She got up on a ladder as she's just a little thing and so cute with her red hair.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    GO CARDS

    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    I worked as a floral designer during college - does that count?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,446
    I'm a very serious - and very good - knitter. I used to do needlepoint (including church kneelers), but these days it's knitting.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Super Moderator bijou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Way back when it was the craze to "antique" old furniture, my mom covered so much good furniture with the paint and then a glaze. She ruined everything. When she died my sister had an estate sale. We ended up donating all that furniture. I have an old, simply designed Arts and Crafts wood umbrella stand that's antiqued. I need to find someone to get all that gunk off for me. Right now it's in our garage.

    Did they ever have that craze in the UK?
    There was a fad for using crackle glaze a while back, more recently the 'shabby chic' fake distressed furniture has been popular. I have painted second hand furniture which wasn't in good condition to give it a second lease of life. With relatively small amounts of paint used you can use expensive paint and get quite a nice effect, I don't do the distressed look because I couldn't put all that work in just to make it look damaged. :)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,661
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    There was a fad for using crackle glaze a while back, more recently the 'shabby chic' fake distressed furniture has been popular. I have painted second hand furniture which wasn't in good condition to give it a second lease of life. With relatively small amounts of paint used you can use expensive paint and get quite a nice effect, I don't do the distressed look because I couldn't put all that work in just to make it look damaged. :)
    A friend paid big money to buy that distressed furniture. Everyone has their own taste, but I wouldn't invest a lot on something that probably is a passing fad.

    It's a good idea to rehab second hand furniture not in good condition. But my mom took what was realtively decent mahogany furniture and put on that "antiquing", also on antique oak furniture that had been in my dad's family for many, many years.

    I may have to find some expensive paint that might make my oak umbrella stand more weather resistant in put it in the outdoor entrance, which is covered. It would be useful for not bringing wet umbrellas into the house. You've got me started on a project before I have my surgery. Thanks.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    GO CARDS

    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •