Thread: Functions?

1. #1 Functions? 
    Ok, first block of my math class involves Functions.

To say that greek is easier to understand then this is not an understatement. It's been 10 years since I've done "complex" math, and I was never any good at self teaching that stuff to myself anyways.

I'm kind of running out of time on this block to get my assignments completed, and I still haven't even really begun to get a basic handle of this. Anyone math wizzes out there got any tips?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

OK, that was vague.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    OK, that was vague.
    If you think that is vague you should see the work I'm having to deal with.

Functions are a mathematical equation that deal with a domain and range. Something like F(x) = 2x+1. But it goes way beyond just a simple equation like that.

I'm starting to figure this out because I actually had a few hours to sit down and just grind my nose in the books today. But suffice to say, the professor has given us absolutely nothing to work with in trying to figure this out and all of us in the class are scrounging the internet trying to teach ourselves how this shit works.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

4. Suppose you have a cookie stand, and when you charge $3 per cookie box you sell 200 boxes. But when you raise your price to $4 you only sell 120 boxes.

a. Write an equation for the number of boxes you sell as a function of the price you charge.

b. Denote "B" for number of boxes, and "P" for the price you charge.

c. Assume the function is linear..
    That's one of the questions.

Edit: I'm not fishing for answers, just trying to show what i'm dealing with.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I am with you. I'm fairly good at math, at lest use to be in High school, now I've got a pre-calac class this semester and idk how well I'll do. I took Stats my first semester back, and OMG I did not get it at all.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    That's one of the questions.

Edit: I'm not fishing for answers, just trying to show what i'm dealing with.
    Sounds like basic algebra to me....I'd give you the answer...but nah.:D