Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Elmhurst College Questions Sexual Orientation: Are You A Member of the LGBT Community 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Elmhurst College put a question on its admissions application that won’t appear on any other school's application....."Would you consider yourself to be a member of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered) community?”.....That optional question makes Elmhurst the first school in the country to ask applicants about their sexual orientation or gender identity, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Prospective freshmen and transfer students applying for the 2012 fall semester will become the first group of applicants to check “yes,” “no” or “prefer not to answer.” Their answers will not play a role in the admissions process.

A “yes” answer could put students in line to qualify for a scholarship worth one-third of tuition at the private, liberal arts school affiliated with the United Church of Christ, said Rold....The college also plans to direct students to groups or resources to help them feel more comfortable on campus.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...128378348.html

COMMENTS:
    John Adkins
    "mission to increase diversity"? then why don't they recruit and admit some
    students who may actually vote for a republican one day?
    Reply 2 hours ago
    Justin Bubba Strohman El Paso, Texas
    This is teaching the next generation that one doesn't need to work hard in highschool and be the best..it sounds like just being gay is good enough..at this rate students won't get letter grades, they'll be replaced with gold stars and smiley faces.
    Reply 2 hours ago
    Ted Hales Service Writer/ Tech/Master Coffee Engineer at Redwood Harley Davidson
    No Straight White Males need apply.
    Reply about an hour ago
    Tom Nate Owner at RCS Buying Group
    This is more Liberal BS from Academia! Scholarship should be based on academic achievement, grades and performance to "earn" the scholarship, not be given based on race, sexual orientation, or need for diversity! This is why our education system is failing our students as more emphasis on being politically correct rather than producing highly educated prospective leaders of the future! (of course then we have to debate the more and more liberal curriculum being taught by mostly liberal professors are our nations colleges).
    Reply about an hour ago

William R. Smith Top Commenter Industrial and Mfg. Engineer at Self Employed Contractor
    who would have ever thought you can earn a Bachelor's degree for taking it up the Hershey Highway....
    Reply 49 minutes ago
    Marc Kortlander Top Commenter Nymex U
    another looney toon left leaning school. it's no wonder so many college grads find it tough to find employment without continuing on to grad school. the liberal arts degree that schools like this issue are almost useless these days.
    Reply 2 hours ago
    Mike Kennedy Creighton University
    I'm thinking of the Movie "Soul Man". How do you make sure someone is not lying so they get scholarship?
    Reply 2 hours ago
    ljs96076 (signed in using Yahoo)
    trust me, there is PLENTY of faculty with the expertise to validate the claims
    Last edited by megimoo; 08-25-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Eeek, to think I almost attended school there. The rumbling sound you hear is my grandmother and other relatives rolling in their graves. They were members of the old Evangelical and Reformed Church (at the time a church that held services in both German and Engish). It was a very conservative church til they merged with the United Church of Christ. I would never be comfortable in that lib church anymore. I guess it's true, you can't go home or return to the things treasured in your past.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW

On a side note: I love it when you hear those commercials for companies that say "Affirmative action and equal opportunity employer" Well which one is it? you cant be both. :mad:

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    see now this kind of crap is BS. with Technology, all applicants to any school should be electronic and use a number system when determining acceptance, no names, races, gender, orientation or anything of that nature, just grades and whatever essay they want submitted.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

It's a private school. The scholarship money is also privately-funded. Who cares?

I wonder, though, if they have a designation for the bi-curious? We are talking about college students, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    see now this kind of crap is BS. with Technology, all applicants to any school should be electronic and use a number system when determining acceptance, no names, races, gender, orientation or anything of that nature, just grades and whatever essay they want submitted.
    Ugh... How can a college ask me that?! To me, that's none of their business. DAMN.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    Ugh... How can a college ask me that?! To me, that's none of their business. DAMN.

~QC
    A public school would have no right, a private school does.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    A public school would have no right, a private school does.
    Well, being this is a college that may lean liberal. . . they're probably going to assume that I want to join the stupid little LBGT cliques and sit through their lectures on bullying and stuff. I want to be treated like everyone else, so let's not sit through the awareness bullshit. Just let me go to class like everyone else. I don't want scholarships, or extra help because I'm configured a certain way. Don't step in unless I get my ass beat or I'm treated like shit because of my sexuality. Or my politics, for that matter. :p

I guess b/c i remember the LGBT club meetings being so dreary, and having to lie about going to College Republicans later on.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Well, being this is a college that may lean liberal. . . they're probably going to assume that I want to join the stupid little LBGT cliques and sit through their lectures on bullying and stuff. I want to be treated like everyone else, so let's not sit through the awareness bullshit. Just let me go to class like everyone else. I don't want scholarships, or extra help because I'm configured a certain way. Don't step in unless I get my ass beat or I'm treated like shit because of my sexuality. Or my politics, for that matter. :p

I guess b/c i remember the LGBT club meetings being so dreary, and having to lie about going to College Republicans later on.

~QC
    I can see where that would be annoying, it sounds lie a good school to stay away from.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

~QC
    It's a UCC school, it's about as liberal as it gets outside of the Quakers or Cal Berkeley.

It's not just about student organizations, it's also about financial aid. There are scholarships for gay kids through various foundations.