Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fabulous Poster
    Ever since she discovered the internet, I have worried about crazy neurotic girls sitting in closed bedrooms writing dark fan fiction poisoning the mind of my niece. I am never fully convinced that they haven't, but every now and then she will say or do something so fiercely independent of intellect or spirit that I am comforted.

Most recently, when I was nudging her to go to normal high school (I really liked high school) rather than homeschool, she looked me directly in the eye and said, "I am not going to waste my time at some (trashy urban/pop culture) high school when I could be homeschool, traveling, or moving to (my sister/her aunt's ranch near Los Angeles). It was then that I realized that she wasn't being difficult, I was being inconsistent. It had only been the year before when I told my mother (her grandmother) that I was glad she wasn't going to public high school, that it was simply too dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Ever since she discovered the internet, I have worried about crazy neurotic girls sitting in closed bedrooms writing dark fan fiction poisoning the mind of my niece. I am never fully convinced that they haven't, but every now and then she will say or do something so fiercely independent of intellect or spirit that I am comforted.

Most recently, when I was nudging her to go to normal high school (I really liked high school) rather than homeschool, she looked me directly in the eye and said, "I am not going to waste my time at some (trashy urban/pop culture) high school when I could be homeschool, traveling, or moving to (my sister/her aunt's ranch near Los Angeles). It was then that I realized that she wasn't being difficult, I was being inconsistent. It had only been the year before when I told my mother (her grandmother) that I was glad she wasn't going to public high school, that it was simply too dangerous.
    It sounds like you have a very admirable niece and think it's great as an uncle that you take an interest in her. It helps for kids to know that they have the backing and concern of their family. I really miss my only niece's two little girls back in St Louis. They are such a delight.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

The only logical conclusions from this study are:

1. Boys and girls have figured out the way adults of their gender handle problems and model themselves on it.

2. Talk and depression/anxiety are linked, but there's no causal direction, according to the study. In other words, excessive talk could be a result of depression/anxiety and not the other way around. Since it is well known that more women than men suffer from anxiety and depression, it would make sense that women talk more in the personal sphere to alleviate that depression and anxiety.

This article only addresses women talking about their problems in the private (family and friends) sphere. Men still talk far more in the public sphere.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    By the time you're living with one, you've already dated her. If you don't know it by then, you're deaf.
    ah, but you are forgetting Mothers, Sisters, anuts, nieces, that crazy girl next door that claims the sky is Puce. :D:D
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry