Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1 Illinois Approves Another New Tax... (Fee) 
    Destroyer of Worlds Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Posts
    5,089
    August 25, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Illinois Toll Authority voted Thursday to almost double what it charges people to use its roadways.



    Anyone with an I-PASS will see their basic toll jump from 40 to 75 cents starting next year. Drivers using cash to pay tolls will be paying twice what I-PASS users pay.



    Before the 7-1 vote, the board heard more testimony favoring the increase as a way to jumpstart the region's economy.



    http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KJ3Cf0BV...rticle-8326527


    This will surly solve their funding issues, and create more jobs.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    cripes, more money for the toll operators to pocket
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    I'm failing to see how taking more money out of peoples pockets will jumpstart the economy.

    Can someone explain how making sure I have less money to spend on the economy helps me boost the economy?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'm failing to see how taking more money out of peoples pockets will jumpstart the economy.

    Can someone explain how making sure I have less money to spend on the economy helps me boost the economy?
    A mage does it?
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'm failing to see how taking more money out of peoples pockets will jumpstart the economy.

    Can someone explain how making sure I have less money to spend on the economy helps me boost the economy?
    But it's not about more money in the economy - its about making it harder for people to travel.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    But it's not about more money in the economy - its about making it harder for people to travel.
    People will pay it, just like gas. All those toll roads are in the Chicago area, and unless you want to spend 4 times as long in your trip, you take those toll roads. I always take one when I'm driving home to michigan. It was $.60 for a 10 mile stretch, but probably saved us an hour easy. If it's gonna be $1.20 now, it'll still be worth the time (and gas) saved.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Notice how many of your bills go up by a fairly small amount? Enough to piss you off, but not enough for you to do anything about it.

    Allstate played this game on me for years. They would raise my rate by $8 per month, like clockwork with each renewal. And like a good little idiot, I paid it because it was less trouble than switching companies. Well, eventually those increases added up to a lot of money for crappy coverage so I left Allstate. They didn't care, they got my money and now they will get someone else's money.

    Power bills go up $8- $12 when the increase is approved, and since they were asking for a 40% increase, you almost feel relieved. Homeowners goes up $200 and your brain automatically divides 200 by 12 as you casually drop the bill on your desk and go back to what you were doing.

    We're getting screwed, slowly and gently, but screwed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Notice how many of your bills go up by a fairly small amount? Enough to piss you off, but not enough for you to do anything about it.

    Allstate played this game on me for years. They would raise my rate by $8 per month, like clockwork with each renewal. And like a good little idiot, I paid it because it was less trouble than switching companies. Well, eventually those increases added up to a lot of money for crappy coverage so I left Allstate. They didn't care, they got my money and now they will get someone else's money.

    Power bills go up $8- $12 when the increase is approved, and since they were asking for a 40% increase, you almost feel relieved. Homeowners goes up $200 and your brain automatically divides 200 by 12 as you casually drop the bill on your desk and go back to what you were doing.

    We're getting screwed, slowly and gently, but screwed.
    You need to make more money. Problem solved.:p
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Death of a thousand paper cuts . . .


    Or a subtle way to slowly bleed off what disposable income we have - enabling greater government control of our lives.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    People will pay it, just like gas. All those toll roads are in the Chicago area, and unless you want to spend 4 times as long in your trip, you take those toll roads. I always take one when I'm driving home to michigan. It was $.60 for a 10 mile stretch, but probably saved us an hour easy. If it's gonna be $1.20 now, it'll still be worth the time (and gas) saved.
    you're taking 80 right? ugh that way sucks nothing but flatness for MILES. At lest when I go home to WI I can take 94 (Dan Ryan) the whole way and only have to stop x2 which is now like 2.50. I'll hate it, but will pay the 5 bucks over the 20 it would take going 290 or 294.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •