Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Woman Sues Royal Australian Navy Over Pregnancy 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    A sailor wants the Federal Government to help fund the cost of raising her child after defence medical staff repeatedly failed to detect her pregnancy....... Emily Hetherington, now 22, claimed that if they had detected the pregnancy she would not have proceeded with it, according to documents lodged with the Supreme Court of Victoria...... She did not find out about her condition until she was 22 weeks pregnant, at which stage she was advised it was too late to have an abortion....... Ms Hetherington has launched legal action against the Commonwealth of Australia (Department of Defence),

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/n...-1226123150218

We all know how flawless man is, right?

How many millions of times has this happened, where a medical test, has gone arwy?

Did the Navy impregegnant her her? No!

Actions, meet consequences! :mad:
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Sonnabend
    Part of an entrance to the Armed Forces is a medical examination. They failed to tell her she was pregnant...nor, it appears, did they test for it after she told them she had missed her period..and I would wonder how a doctor could NOT test for it in a usual test sequence. The urinalysis alone would have set off alarm bells.

Bottom line, the doctors screwed up and failed to do a thorough physical examination. I also know for a fact that a blood test would have also shown antibodies and proteins that would have told them..the blood screening was also not done properly. She did not KNOW she was pregnant and telling a doctor of her symptoms was enough for them to have run the screening process. Despite the tests, a simple and proper medical examination would have shown the initial body changes of pregnancy.

She told them and they didn't check. Their fuckup .

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Part of an entrance to the Armed Forces is a medical examination. They failed to tell her she was pregnant...nor, it appears, did they test for it after she told them she had missed her period..and I would wonder how a doctor could NOT test for it in a usual test sequence. The urinalysis alone would have set off alarm bells.

Bottom line, the doctors screwed up and failed to do a thorough physical examination. I also know for a fact that a blood test would have also shown antibodies and proteins that would have told them..the blood screening was also not done properly. She did not KNOW she was pregnant and telling a doctor of her symptoms was enough for them to have run the screening process. Despite the tests, a simple and proper medical examination would have shown the initial body changes of pregnancy.

She told them and they didn't check. Their fuckup .
    Your point? oh well a mistake was made, it doesn't mean a free ride for life. She can give the kid up for adoption if she doesnt want to be saddled with the burden, nope she see's this kid as a meal ticket.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    We all know how flawless man is, right?

How many millions of times has this happened, where a medical test, has gone arwy?

Did the Navy impregegnant her her? No!

Actions, meet consequences! :mad:
    No worries for her, with her attitude one reasonably concludes that the government will have made a significant investment in her child by the time he is 18.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Their fuckup .
    In general, when you have a cause of action against a medical provider for a mistake, i's because you maintain that had he done his job correctly then you would have been able to mitigate or cure a condition which is now causing you irreparable harm.

In this case, the "fuck-up" is that they didn't discover that this woman was pregnant. She maintains that had they done so in a timely fashion she would have had an abortion.

There is a huge difference between "If I had known I had cancer, I could have gotten effective treatment in time." and "If I had known i was pregnant I could have terminated the pregnancy." IN the first place, a disease and pregnancy are not the same thing, and in the second while almost any sane person would seek effective treatment for cancer if notified in a timely fashion, fewer than half of people would seek an abortion on discovery that they are pregnant.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Your point? oh well a mistake was made, it doesn't mean a free ride for life. She can give the kid up for adoption if she doesnt want to be saddled with the burden, nope she see's this kid as a meal ticket.
    She must have been stupid not to put missing her period and having sex together and figured out for herself she was pregnant..Hell they sell pregnancy test kits in the drug store...Something stinks in Denmark and it's not the formaggio marcio ...

Sonnabend
    Failing to do a thorough medical examination, not to mention the doctor was TOLD she may be pregnant and failed to do the proper screening? That's incompetence.

Hey, MegaMoron, amenorrhea has a large number of causes, ONE of which is pregnancy. Another is cancer of the cervix, another cervical fibroids, cervical cysts, endometriosis....all of which need to be checked for and ruled out.

Their fuckup.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 08-27-2011 at 08:12 PM.

And of course SHE has absolutly NO RESPONSIBILITY for her pregnancy. It was the Navy that got her pregnant without her consent, and then they even kept it hidden from her until the last possible min. C'mon, get real here.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Sonnabend
    She did not know she was pregnant and the doctors failed in their duty of care to do the correct procedures . A later test DID confirm it, a test they failed to do at the proper time.

Duty of care. They failed.