I was wondering what happened to Cyrano...

Cyrano (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-27-11 05:54 PM
Original message Back to the dark ages I once thought that we Americans were advancing into an enlightened future. What a fool I was. I didnít understand the idiocy, or the homicidal/suicidal nature of humanity.

Over 65 years ago, WWII ended. And then America built a middle class. Iím not sure that there was such a thing as a middle class until then. The governmentís GI program, the ability to get an education, to buy a home and to own a car by holding just one job, became a reality. But most importantly, people had the chance to send their children to college hoping that their lives would be better than their own.

That era is long gone and an incredible meanness and ugliness has overtaken our country. The Republican Party has demolished what was once called ďThe American Dream.Ē Their leaders destroyed it out of greed. And their followers destroyed it out of ignorance.

In the 1980s, under the rule of the amiable imbecile, Ronald Reagan, the destruction of America started in earnest. Unions were demolished, government oversight of business rules and regulations were tossed into the dumpster, and the idea of people paying taxes was redefined as ďevil.Ē

If you think that taxes are ďevil,Ē how do you build roads, fix bridges, educate children recover from disasters, care for veterans, help the elderly and everyone else who is mentally or physically disabled and canít help themselves? Obviously, you canít. So the truth is that todayís Republican Party doesnít give a damn about any of this. The fact is, they donít care who lives or dies, as long as it doesnít affect them personally.

Such people used to be called barbarians. Today, we call them Republicans.

Assuming that you donít already get it, the Republicans, and far too many blue dog Democrats, are your deadly enemies. What we can do to regain our freedoms is questionable and limited. Personally, I think that humanity is screwed until the next Renaissance rolls around.

So welcome to the new dark ages. And if you have a concept that will help us avoid a prolonged period of darkness, please share it with us.

Someone woke up cranky...:D