1. #1 Prison Slave Labor, Victimless Crime Legislation, & the Prison-Industrial Complex 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Ooooo...Slave Labor.

Time for change (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-27-11 06:59 PM

Original message Prison Slave Labor, Victimless Crime Legislation, & the Prison-Industrial Complex As with our military, profiteers abound in the prison industry as well. And as with our military, the prison-industrial complex and associated profiteers and lobbyists who depend upon an abundant prison population have plenty of money to advance their cause. The prison population of the United States increased from about 300,000 to over 2,000,000 between 1980 and 2000, so that the United States now has by far the highest prison rate of any nation in the world Ė 751 persons in prison per 100,000 population in 2008. Coincident with the burgeoning prison population in the United States, there has also been a large increase in the number of private prisons, from five in 1995 to 100 in 2005, in which year 62,000 persons were incarcerated in private prisons in the United States.

SLAVE LABOR IN PRISONS

This has all the markings of a looooooong Pitt type post but at the very end...

Note:

Most of this post was excerpted from my new book: ďThe Unfulfilled Promise of the American Dream: The Widening Gap between the Reality of the United States and its Highest IdealsĒ, which explores the anti-Democratic forces that are threatening to make the gap ever wider and tear our nation apart. I discuss the book in some detail here.

The book is now available in paperback, Kindle format, and PDF format. You can read the introduction and table of contents here. You can buy the book here. If you would like to read the book but canít afford it, pm me and Iíll send you a free PDF copy.

So in the real world, the poster is just hawking a book. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Ooooo...Slave Labor.

This has all the markings of a looooooong Pitt type post but at the very end...

So in the real world, the poster is just hawking a book. :D
    Slave labor? Seriously? Is making license plates now considerede on a par with building pyramids?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

In most states, Tennessee included inmates are paid for their labor. Tennessee pays anywhere from .10 to 1.00 and hour for the work inmates do. Then there is the medical care, clothing, laundry, food, water, electricity, transportation, television, gym, library, education and so on.

Slave labor? No, I don't think so.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Slave labor? trust the left to dive into sensationalism and hyperbole to make their "case."
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    In most states, Tennessee included inmates are paid for their labor. Tennessee pays anywhere from .10 to 1.00 and hour for the work inmates do. Then there is the medical care, clothing, laundry, food, water, electricity, transportation, television, gym, library, education and so on.

Slave labor? No, I don't think so.
    You have to slave to send your kids to college.

But if you carjack someone, commit rape , or molest kids you can get a college education on the people's dime.

Plus you get free medical ( including plastic surgery) and you can sue the state because they didn't give crunchy peanut butter for lunch.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post

But if you carjack someone, commit rape , or molest kids you can get a college education on the people's dime.

Plus you get free medical ( including plastic surgery) and you can sue the state because they didn't give crunchy peanut butter for lunch.
    Hmm ... I love peanut butter! BRB tipping over an ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post

Don't forget the FREE Zumba classes at the womens prison. My daughter pays $50.00 a month to go twice a week. Put your kid in a microwave or kill a cop, free zumba.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson