Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Just Got the Gingerbread Update 
    I finally got my G2 upgraded to Android Gingerbread (2.3.3). I've been on-call for work since about two seconds before the update notification, so I wasn't able to do the upgrade then just in case it went awry and put my phone out of commission.

The UI changes are fantastic, the WiFi calling feature no longer freezes after a couple days of use without a reboot, and the market is vastly improved. If anyone else is waiting on updating from Froyo to Gingerbread do it!

Anyway, this update also added Google Books to the market service. I use Nook, and have been using Nook for quite a while. Has anyone here used Google Books, and if so, what was your experience?
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    cool, is it just a firmware update?
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Yeah, it's the phone OS upgrade, a big step forward.

T-Mobile originally released the G2 with 2.2 Froyo, which I bought the first sale after it came out. I've been waiting patiently for 2.3 resisting the urge to root the phone and install it myself because I haven't had to root this phone for any other reason. It makes the UI a lot prettier, and lot more functional with visual cues indicating the state of the phone. (For instance instead of "connected to network" or "not connected to network" there's a network speed indicator, and it's green if you are fully connected with Google's services and grey otherwise).

Overall, I'm really impressed with it. I think new G2x's have been shipping with 2.3 for a while.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."

I just started T-mobile service monday, like it so far, I have the sidekick 4G (wanted the galaxy S but they were out) still getting the hang of up, where do i go to update to gingerbread?
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I just started T-mobile service monday, like it so far, I have the sidekick 4G (wanted the galaxy S but they were out) still getting the hang of up, where do i go to update to gingerbread?
    T-Mobile will push it to you when it's ready for you phone.

Which hang up are you talking about? The WiFi calling hangup?

Go to

Applications->Settings->About Phone->Android Version and see if you already have Android 2.3.x

If you don't, on that same menu (About Phone), click on System Updates, and see if the update is ready for your phone. If you don't get anything, or the update isn't ready, then the update isn't ready for the 4G.

On Edit: Looked it up, and it looks like T-Mobile is currently pushing a 2.2 bugfix release which may solve the problem. It's a staggered rollout, so not everyone will be getting it at the same time (they do this so their servers don't get overloaded I guess). An Android 2.3 update is on the road map, but doesn't have a release date yet.
    Last edited by malloc; 08-31-2011 at 11:50 PM.

I meant hang of it, i'm half asleep

thanks i'll look, I haven't done any updates to firmware but i'll check

looks like i'm still on 2.2.1

looks like i'm still on 2.2.1
    Yeah that's the "old version". It's okay though, because the new version (2.3) doesn't change how you use the phone, so once you get the hang of it, nothing much will change when T-Mobile releases the update except for performance and stability, and the icons and interface gets prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Yeah that's the "old version". It's okay though, because the new version (2.3) doesn't change how you use the phone, so once you get the hang of it, nothing much will change when T-Mobile releases the update except for performance and stability, and the icons and interface gets prettier.
    yeah, the phone is a bit clunky because of where some of the buttons are, but other than that i like it...still trying to figure out what some of the icons are for lol

yeah, the phone is a bit clunky because of where some of the buttons are, but other than that i like it...still trying to figure out what some of the icons are for lol
    Ha! You think there are lot of buttons and icons now.....wait till you find toys and games and all sorts of pass times at the market!

If you have any questions or things you can't figure out, PM me. I'm not the end-all-be-all authority on Android, but I'm a Linux Systems engineer, and a big fan on Android who's "rolled his own firmware" a couple of times in the past. Good luck, and I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Now, for the must have apps:

1.) Angry Birds.
    2.) Stupid Zombies
    3.) Contract Killer
    4.) Robot Defense.
    5.) Google talk -- If you have friends who have google IM accounts and IM apps on their cell phones, you can use this to "text" them without it counting towards your text limit if you have a text limit.

If you want to try something cool. Next time you are in your car, turn on GPS before you get to your car, and give it a few minutes to pick up the GPS satellites. Find the search bar on your desktop

Looks like this:

Click on the microphone next to the search thing, and wait for to say "Speak Now". Then say, "Navigate to <Name a Place>". Then just let the phone tell you where to drive.