Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 What SyFy did wrong 
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    http://io9.com/5836461/10-actual-mis...over-the-years

10 Actual Mistakes that Syfy Has Made Over the Years

We expect a lot from Syfy, because it's the only cable channel devoted to science fiction. So it's inevitable that the network formerly known as the Sci-Fi Channel will disappoint us occasionally. And sometimes people blame Syfy unfairly — like when Syfy pulls the plug on a low-rated show.

But at the same time, it's fair to say Syfy has made a few actual mistakes over the years. And in our opinion, here are 10 of them.

People sometimes attack Syfy for doing stuff that actually makes sense, at least from a business standpoint. Like showing pro wrestling, which is actually a sort of fantasy in its own right, and which generates crazy ratings for the channel. Also, it's important to stop and realize that Syfy has done some stuff right — the Being Human remake is better than we could have hoped, and has brought in women viewers for the first time in ages. And Warehouse 13 and Alphas are continuing to rule. Plus we pretty much love the Saturday night original movies, zany monsters and all.

At the same time, here are things that we're pretty sure really were mistakes:
    Agree with every single one of them.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Yep. Cancelling Eureka was crazy. Dr. Who is a ratings catcher for them if they had of picked it up. And Firefly, the best of them all.
    They made no mention of when they did wrestling, that was ridiculous, And certainly not why people watch the SyFy channel.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsedriver View Post
    Yep. Cancelling Eureka was crazy. Dr. Who is a ratings catcher for them if they had of picked it up. And Firefly, the best of them all.
    They made no mention of when they did wrestling, that was ridiculous, And certainly not why people watch the SyFy channel.
    they referenced it, it would be 11. Sci-Fi/SyFy has made so many blunders in the last 15 years it's not funny....I miss the original channel that played old sci-fi and had new stuff too...not this crap
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Not sure I agree with all of those. The Stargate shows never grabbed me like the movie did. A few of those others where meh.

But yeah, Firefly, Dr. Who, and Eureka are three monumental fuck ups on their part.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Ending BSG was bad in my opinion. It was a great show, and it had a lot of area to cover. It even redeemed itself after the "one year later" fuck up after they found an earth type planet to live on. I really liked BSG, and own every episode. The series finale was really good, and very fitting. The humans found their paradise and a way to co-exist with the cylons, but that ending could have been delayed many more seasons of fighting, politicking, and crisis management that makes good drama.

Passing on Firefly was monumentally retarded!

I like Alphas, I'm not too big on Haven, it's too politically preachy and slanted to the left for me at times, and the stories are just weak.

Eureka was pretty damn good, and I though it had a big fan base and good ratings. Why the hell did they rap it?
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Not sure I agree with all of those. The Stargate shows never grabbed me like the movie did. A few of those others where meh.

But yeah, Firefly, Dr. Who, and Eureka are three monumental fuck ups on their part.
    Too each their own, I'm a big SG fan, and thought that they were stupid for dumping SGU so quickly, especially just as it was picking up steam.

They've done this kind of crap with almost every show they start, Sliders, SG's, Farscape, Dresden Files, Eureka. I don't think there has been a show that came to it's natural end for them. Even SG-1 had a couple more seasons left in it.

Number one fuck up on that list is not getting Firefly. A close second in cancelling Farscape. I loved that show.

Fabulous Poster
    Farscape was the only one I liked. You could pretty much never have watched the show, and drop in on it and quickly figure out who is who.

I have never understood why people gush over Dr. Who, but it seems like most of those who do smoke pot.

Galactica was OK, but the show where they go through the magic circle for space and time travel seemed targeted to tweens and had a Land Of The Lost quality to it.

You have to hand it to the creative people though. Star Trek is something to be truly celebrated in terms of accomplishments. Look it:

• You have these peaceful explorers who have some of the hottest weaponry in the universe, and who always manage to need it. Season after season, show after show, we suspend reality to ignore that these must be the unluckiest peaceniks in the universe.

• You have this wonderfully redundant technology, everything is basically based on transporter or deflector technology and can be routed this way and that, when you need to defend yourselves on your peaceful mission to explore the galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post

I have never understood why people gush over Dr. Who, but it seems like most of those who do smoke pot.
    what? have you ever actually stat and watched it? it's very much like Farscape, you can drop in, watch an episode without really knowing anything about the show and be alright, the old series much more than the new . It's also British, which many American's don't get

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    When I was living up in Jersey PBS carried Dr. Who and they could count on me for a donation.

When they dropped Dr. Who I dropped them. :mad::D
    May the FORCE be with you!