1. #1 2 elderly women bouncy 
    mtnsnake Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Tue Sep-09-08 12:23 PM
    Original message
    My personal experience with 2 elderly women I recently met who are both scared of Obama
    I met both of these women in the last 2 weeks, one when I was doing business and the other when I was with her in a waiting room where we were both waiting to get eye exams.

I wasn't planning on talking politics with the first one, but we somehow just got into it. She seemed very concerned about the economy and wasn't at all pleased with the last 8 years. So, thinking she'd be happy with Obama, I asked her how she liked him. She immediately said to me, almost in a whisper, "I'm so afraid if he gets in....you know....he's a.........(long hesitation)............black man." At least she didn't say colored. Anyway, I was really floored because this lady was so sweet when I met her that I never would have dreamed she'd be afraid of seeing a black man get elected. Her son, who I was doing some business with at the time, seemed embarrassed at his mother's display of racism.

The second lady, the one I met in the waiting room, was also elderly. There was a TV on, and when it showed a clip of Obama, she said she was petrified out of her mind of him. She started right in with, "We can't let this man get in. He is right in with all those Muslims. I think he is one of them himself. Did you know that his father is a Muslim? If he gets in, the terrorists are going to take over our country!!" She expressed herself in such a frantic and worried tone that I know she actually believes it's true. In fact, she told me she's so scared of Obama that she's going to leave the country and move to Alaska if he wins. I kid you not. There was nothing I could say to convince her that Obama wasn't a terrorist waiting to happen. I was so moved by her ignorance that I tactfully told her that I heard that the reason Sarah Palin lives in Alaska is because it is so close to Russia, and she is secretly plotting with the Russians to take over the United States if she gets elected. She just looked at me, clearly stunned, and said "Oh my God!". I told her I heard it on Fox News. Then she got called in for her eye exam.

Folks, I honestly believe we are going to end up trouncing the Repukes in the end, but we do have some educating to do along the way. We probably aren't going to change the minds of many racists, but we do need to address the concerns of people like Lady #2 and somehow convince them that Obama is as American as them or anyone else.

Have you met anyone like this? It's really unsettling when it happens.
    1 bong total for this one = 1/4 bong for the "so" but the OP doesn't get a full point for it because he didn't start the post with it. And there's no conversion, but I'll give it another 1/4 bong for trying to convert the woman by lying about Palin. I'm also giving him 1/2 bong for the "I kid you not" because all good bouncies should include a comment that assures the other DUmmies that the story isn't a lie - we've been forgetting to grade on that aspect of bouncy writing.

LINK: http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=132x6999825
    Last edited by Eilise; 09-09-2008 at 02:05 PM.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    These stories are priceless. Even the most pathetic ones still bring
    a smile. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DUmmy
    I tactfully told her that I heard that the reason Sarah Palin lives in Alaska is because it is so close to Russia, and she is secretly plotting with the Russians to take over the United States if she gets elected. She just looked at me, clearly stunned, and said "Oh my God!". I told her I heard it on Fox News. Then she got called in for her eye exam.
    You've got to be kidding me.

I LoL'd

Someone is hitting the Bong!
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt

I'm tempted to give it 10 bongs - for the WORST BOUNCY EVAH!

These stories are like DU's version of Penthouse letters aren't they? Everyone involved, including the writer, really wishes the story would happened to them.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!