1. #1 Muslim cabbies in Minn. lose round in court 
    Muslim cabbies in Minn. lose round in court
    Associated Press

Last update: September 9, 2008 - 12:37 PM

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Muslim cabbies whose religious beliefs go against driving passengers who carry alcohol have lost another round in Minnesota courts.

The Minnesota Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday against the cabbies' latest attempt to block penalties from being imposed when they refuse to transport passengers because they're carrying alcoholic beverages.

An ordinance adopted by the Metropolitan Airports Commission last year revokes a cabbie's license for 30 days for refusing to pick up a passenger for any reason at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. A second refusal brings a two-year revocation.

A large share of the cabbies who serve the airport are Somali Muslims, and many of them believe that Islamic law prohibits them from giving rides to people carrying alcohol. Since the commission began keeping track in 2002, there have been over 5,200 recorded instances of cabbies refusing service to passengers at the airport, including a "significant percentage" of passengers carrying alcohol, the appeals court noted.

The issue had simmered for several years before the commission decided the penalties were needed to ensure that customers would get reliable taxi service at the airport, and that compromises proposed by the drivers were impractical.

The drivers, who say the airport rules infringe on their religious freedom, appealed a lower court's refusal to grant a temporary injunction blocking those penalties from taking effect.
    This kind of thing makes me want to take Doc on a bender that would involve a lot of cab rides. :D

Star Tribune

I raised hell at a store here when some burqah wearing cashier didnt want to ring up my bacon and pork chops

I told her to put some gloves on or whatever or find another job, im freakin tired of this shit!
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt

noonwitch
    Is this different than pharmacists who refuse to fill birth control prescriptions, because it is against their religious beliefs?

Same the same IMO

Both should do it or find another job, or open their own pharmacy/cab company and do whatever the hell they want
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Is this different than pharmacists who refuse to fill birth control prescriptions, because it is against their religious beliefs?
    If it's the CVS, I'd expect someone else to fill my prescription. If it's a one-man-operation pharmacy, then live and learn, go somewhere else.

Are the cabbies independent businessmen? If so, they can refuse service. Are they working for a cab company that tells them they have to pick up people carrying booze? Then no, they can't refuse service.

That's my initial .02. There may be other factors in play. Such as, can a cabbie refuse to take someone to an abortion clinic? Or a mosque?

In most cities, cabs are regulated under the Public Utilities Commission which means they aren't exactly independent businesses. In fact, gypsy cabs are illegal just about everywhere now. So, it's pretty different.

Eyelids
    Not at all, just deal with it noonwitch.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Not at all, just deal with it noonwitch.
    She would agree with that, putz. That's why she posed the example.

Patent Member
    Nope, both are drawing unwarranted intrusions of government into a private industry. Cabbies should be able to refuse service to anyone if they are carrying alcohol.

Such a cabbie would quickly find himself out of a job when people started complaining to his cab company about poor service.

Banned
    [QUOTE=biccat;46583]Cabbies should be able to refuse service to anyone if they are carrying alcohol.QUOTE]

If it is their cab, yes. But if their company requires it, then they either do it or find another job. If it is their cab but picking up fares at the airports and that requires a special permit, then they abide by the protocols established by the permit. If that means picking up EVERY passenger, then yes they have to pick up every passenger, religious beliefs be damned.

When I owned my gas station I always said that I would not hire a flamboyant gay guy to work for me and it would be BECAUSE he was a flamboyant gay guy.