Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39
  1. #11  
    Destroyer of Worlds Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Posts
    5,203
    Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    Pretty huge difference between moping around and blazing around at ridiculously unsafe speeds because you're "only breaking the law by 15 miles per hour." How sad and pathetic is it that making a political point comes down to your perceived right to put people just trying to get around in danger.
    Actually a slower driver is far more dangerous on the road then those who are driving the speed limit, or as some others up said the current flow of the traffic at what ever speed it may be.

    Slower drivers impede the progress of other cars on the road and cause accidents by not responding to the flows of traffic around them. Some staying in the passing lane opposed to the driving lane hindering traffic.

    When all traffic is moving at the same speed, the chances of a serious crash are reduced. When one driver deviates from this, accidents are more likely to occur. In other words, driving too slowly actually raises the chances of a collision.

    Drivers of the Autobahn regularly drive at speeds over 120 mph. And the Autobahn is one of the safest roads on the planet. Why? Because drivers of the Autobahn understand, drive a steady speed with the flow.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Actually a slower driver is far more dangerous on the road then those who are driving the speed limit, or as some others up said the current flow of the traffic at what ever speed it may be.

    Slower drivers impede the progress of other cars on the road and cause accidents by not responding to the flows of traffic around them. Some staying in the passing lane opposed to the driving lane hindering traffic.

    When all traffic is moving at the same speed, the chances of a serious crash are reduced. When one driver deviates from this, accidents are more likely to occur. In other words, driving too slowly actually raises the chances of a collision.

    Drivers of the Autobahn regularly drive at speeds over 120 mph. And the Autobahn is one of the safest roads on the planet. Why? Because drivers of the Autobahn understand, drive a steady speed with the flow.
    As a motorcycle rider, I have found that going a little above the speed of the flow of traffic is safer on a bike.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    6,324
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gutless Coward KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    I dont do drugs. But OK, if thats going to be your argument.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    Pretty huge difference between moping around and blazing around at ridiculously unsafe speeds because you're "only breaking the law by 15 miles per hour." How sad and pathetic is it that making a political point comes down to your perceived right to put people just trying to get around in danger.
    Ah, the nanny state argument, that we must putter around at speeds that you consider safe for the common good. And if those speeds aren't, in fact, any safer, since they end up creating more traffic and congestion, then who are we to argue with the experts? We should just be glad to be herded along at the "right" speed like good little sheep.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Ah, the nanny state argument, that we must putter around at speeds that you consider safe for the common good. And if those speeds aren't, in fact, any safer, since they end up creating more traffic and congestion, then who are we to argue with the experts? We should just be glad to be herded along at the "right" speed like good little sheep.
    Yep, assholes like the Shoe think we should all be driving electric cars at 60mph. If you go any faster than that, the distance per charge dramatically decreases. How sad and pathetic it is that liberals want to tell us what to drive and how fast to drive. Plus, the government is pissing our tax dollars away with idiotic loans to electric car manufacturers like Tesla Motors that will never be paid back.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Yep, assholes like the Shoe think we should all be driving electric cars at 60mph. If you go any faster than that, the distance per charge dramatically decreases. How sad and pathetic it is that liberals want to tell us what to drive and how fast to drive. Plus, the government is pissing our tax dollars away with idiotic loans to electric car manufacturers like Tesla Motors that will never be paid back.
    Yep, but at 60 mph, they want us to ensure that we wear helmets and knee pads and encase our children in bubble wrap. And, liberals will continue to drive at whatever speeds they want, as they are speeding for our benefit. Sooner or later, there will be exemptions for every manner of government worker to break the speed limits. Remember how the pigs got all the apples and milk in Animal Farm?

    The mystery of where the milk went to was soon cleared up. It was mixed every day into the pigs' mash. The early apples were now ripening, and the grass of the orchard was littered with windfalls. The animals had assumed as a matter of course that these would be shared out equally; one day, however, the order went forth that all the windfalls were to be collected and brought to the harness-room for the use of the pigs. At this some of the other animals murmured, but it was no use. All the pigs were in full agreement on this point, even Snowball and Napoleon. Squealer was sent to make the necessary explanations to the others.

    "Comrades!" he cried. "You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege? Many of us actually dislike milk and apples. I dislike them myself. Our sole object in taking these
    things is to preserve our health. Milk and apples (this has been proved by Science, comrades) contain substances absolutely necessary to the well-being of a pig. We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of this farm depend on us. Day and night we are watching over
    your welfare. It is for YOUR sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples. Do you know what would happen if we pigs failed in our duty? Jones would come back! Yes, Jones would come back! Surely, comrades," cried Squealer almost pleadingly, skipping from side to side and whisking his tail, "surely there is no one among you who wants to see Jones come back?"
    It's always for our benefit that they set themselves over us, as they always tell us.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    They always do things in a big way. Pisses some people off but being a next door neighbor, it puts a smile on my face.

    Texas has adopted a new speed limit going from 80 to 85 miles per hour. Yee haw. So, driving at 100 will only get me a ticket for going 15mph over the speed limit. As an added benefit, driving this fast will decrease gas mileage and just piss of environmentalists and tree huggers that much more. Increased usage of fossil fuels will create more jobs also. Leadfoot can not wait to take a trip to Texas.
    I'm willing to bet that 90% of Texans will not live near an 85MPH zone, and from personal experience this is not a new speed for I 10 in western Texas.

    Still, it would be fin to go somewhere where it's legal to drive.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Nope. But I'm sure that people hate being stuck behind an underpowered "smart" car whose back window is so covered with Obama stickers that you can't see them tailgating you when you drive like a myopic geriatric.
    I wasn't aware that speeding fell on political lines. Around here, it is often the most likely Obama voter who ignores traffic laws, especially residential speed limits.

    The redneck boys (if we are to assume they are future Republicans), and the preppies (if you would like to think they are future Republicans) in Nissans and Hondas, appear to obey the traffic laws on regular streets and only go for the big tickets when engaging in illegal races on Gandy Bridge.

    The jacked up Novas and Malibus that were the greaser car of my day, are now the show car of the urban black hip hop set.
    Last edited by Novaheart; 09-03-2011 at 11:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I wasn't aware that speeding fell on political lines. Around here, it is often the most likely Obama voter who ignores traffic laws, especially residential speed limits.

    The redneck boys (if we are to assume they are future Republicans), and the preppies (if you would like to think they are future Republicans) in Nissans and Hondas, appear to obey the traffic laws on regular streets and only go for the big tickets when engaging in illegal races on Gandy Bridge.

    The jacked up Novas and Malibus that were the greaser car of my day, are now the show car of the urban black hip hop set.
    The difference is, conservatives want the law to impose minimal restrictions on liberty, and obey the laws. Liberals want the law to control behavior, and then make excuses for those who ignore the laws that they imposed on the rest of us, or exempt themselves.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida. The Cuban Part.
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Yep, assholes like the Shoe think we should all be driving electric cars at 60mph. If you go any faster than that, the distance per charge dramatically decreases. How sad and pathetic it is that liberals want to tell us what to drive and how fast to drive. Plus, the government is pissing our tax dollars away with idiotic loans to electric car manufacturers like Tesla Motors that will never be paid back.
    And the funny thing is. . .a Prius can go 100 mph. It's "limited" to 103. I'm sure somewhere a mechanic is trying to create a workaround. . .that will probably be made illegal and modified cars will be forced into "recall".

    ~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

    Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •