Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    And the funny thing is. . .a Prius can go 100 mph. It's "limited" to 103. I'm sure somewhere a mechanic is trying to create a workaround. . .that will probably be made illegal and modified cars will be forced into "recall".

~QC
    I can buy a Civic that goes over a 100, gets over 40mpg and is 10 thousand dollars cheaper and does not look like an inverted bathtub. Plus, it will run off and leave a Prius and it is easy to modify. BTW, a Prius going at a high rate of speed will be severely limited on how many miles it can go without a recharge.

The big Cheese
    So klulessshoe swoops in, drops a dues on the rug and flaps off.....
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    So klulessshoe swoops in, drops a dues on the rug and flaps off.....
    What do you expect from a gutless coward? He doesn't even have the courage to defend his idiocy.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    And the funny thing is. . .a Prius can go 100 mph. It's "limited" to 103. I'm sure somewhere a mechanic is trying to create a workaround. . .that will probably be made illegal and modified cars will be forced into "recall".

~QC
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I can buy a Civic that goes over a 100, gets over 40mpg and is 10 thousand dollars cheaper and does not look like an inverted bathtub. Plus, it will run off and leave a Prius and it is easy to modify. BTW, a Prius going at a high rate of speed will be severely limited on how many miles it can go without a recharge.
    And, the acceleration from zero to 100 on a Prius is, what, an hour and a half?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Ah, the nanny state argument, that we must putter around at speeds that you consider safe for the common good. And if those speeds aren't, in fact, any safer, since they end up creating more traffic and congestion, then who are we to argue with the experts? We should just be glad to be herded along at the "right" speed like good little sheep.
    This isnt the nanny state argument. When you are on a public road with thousands of other people you are not within your rights to exercise unlimited freedom when it comes to the speed of your car. Cars are designed to an extent to get into accidents; so there's a massive difference between hitting the minivan full of kids at 40 mph and 100 mph.

If you really want unlimited freedom to do whatever the fuck you want regardless of how it endangers the lives of those around you, you can go live in Somalia. That or be a sheep here in the USA. Your call.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    And, the acceleration from zero to 100 on a Prius is, what, an hour and a half?
    Or a hundred miles whichever comes first. :D At 103, the Prius would have to be going downhill with an 80mph wind behind it's back.

Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    This isnt the nanny state argument. When you are on a public road with thousands of other people you are not within your rights to exercise unlimited freedom when it comes to the speed of your car. Cars are designed to an extent to get into accidents; so there's a massive difference between hitting the minivan full of kids at 40 mph and 100 mph.

If you really want unlimited freedom to do whatever the fuck you want regardless of how it endangers the lives of those around you, you can go live in Somalia. That or be a sheep here in the USA. Your call.
    Or buy something besides a sardine can on wheels. You take your obamamobile, whatever the hell it is, and I'll take my Ford F 350 Super Duty. Guess who has the better chance of winning if you run into me, even at 50 mph? I might even be able to drive that Super Duty away from the wreck.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post

Those aren't the only choices, now are they? I don't want unlimited freedom, I want ordered liberty, the idea that we, as a free people, can govern ourselves and make intelligent decisions about things like speed limits without being lectured to by bureaucrats who commute via metro or are driven by others. I-10 is a perfect example. We drove the length of it from San Antonio to Florida at an average speed of 80 MPH with no danger at all, in a minivan. The only times that we slowed down to the limit were when we thought that there were cops around, but everyone else was keeping the same speeds. The 55 mph limit was dreamed up by people who thought that, because they had an exalted view of their own expertise, they should get to dictate how everyone else lives, even though they have been proven wrong when every previous attempt to impose their will on the rest of us has come to grief. Don't pretend that you care about the minivan full of kids. Urban elitists loathe people who insist on driving anything larger than a Prius. As the driver of the minivan, I can tell you that my kids were perfectly safe, except when some idiot in an econo-box was blocking traffic.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post
    Or buy something besides a sardine can on wheels. You take your obamamobile, whatever the hell it is, and I'll take my Ford F 350 Super Duty. Guess who has the better chance of winning if you run into me, even at 50 mph? I might even be able to drive that Super Duty away from the wreck.
    Amen. When I lived in Japan, there was a number of accidents between Americans and Japanese, leading to fatalities. The local government was getting real pissed, because it was the Japanese who were dying, not the Americans.

It was very easy to tell why. The Japanese buy tiny ass cars that are "energy efficient". The Americans would be all the big cars on the market. When a collision happened, the Japanese cars folded up like aluminum foil.

And that is why I prefer SUV's and Trucks. Because in the event there is an accident, I'll be the one who will most likely survive it.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Banned
    The car I had before the accident was a tank strong and I never imagined the damages it caused. But if you saw my car you should have seen the bucket of tin the girl who hit me had.