Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Those aren't the only choices, now are they? I don't want unlimited freedom, I want ordered liberty, the idea that we, as a free people, can govern ourselves and make intelligent decisions about things like speed limits without being lectured to by bureaucrats who commute via metro or are driven by others. I-10 is a perfect example. We drove the length of it from San Antonio to Florida at an average speed of 80 MPH with no danger at all, in a minivan. The only times that we slowed down to the limit were when we thought that there were cops around, but everyone else was keeping the same speeds. The 55 mph limit was dreamed up by people who thought that, because they had an exalted view of their own expertise, they should get to dictate how everyone else lives, even though they have been proven wrong when every previous attempt to impose their will on the rest of us has come to grief. Don't pretend that you care about the minivan full of kids. Urban elitists loathe people who insist on driving anything larger than a Prius. As the driver of the minivan, I can tell you that my kids were perfectly safe, except when some idiot in an econo-box was blocking traffic.
    I feel your pain driving thru LA on I-10. We have some terrible roads. MS, AL and FL have good interstate roads

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I feel your pain driving thru LA on I-10. We have some terrible roads. MS, AL and FL have good interstate roads
    can't be worse than ours here in MI...potholes the size of your car! :eek::eek:
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    And, the acceleration from zero to 100 on a Prius is, what, an hour and a half?
    It goes from 0-to60 in 10.1 seconds, which means it prolly takes maybe 15 seconds to get to 100. :p

Still... my mom's old-school "stealth hybrid" Accord prolly goes faster. :p

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    Pretty huge difference between moping around and blazing around at ridiculously unsafe speeds because you're "only breaking the law by 15 miles per hour." How sad and pathetic is it that making a political point comes down to your perceived right to put people just trying to get around in danger.
    There are stretches of I-10 between Midland and El Paso that contains nothing but Tumbleweeds and jack rabbits.

The state has raised the speed limits there to 75.

New Mexico has returned some of their highways to R&P.

Drive in D.C. and NOVA in general and get back to me on who drives unsafe and ignores traffic laws before you pass judgement on Texas.

How sad and pathetic is it that someone tries to pass judgegment on some one without being up to date on the laws in that state.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I lived in San Antonio Texas for 7 years. They didn't need a law about it then---they just drove that fast. :D

And I do love Texas.
    I can't wait to get my BMW back there and running flat out on I-10 :D
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    There are stretches of I-10 between Midland and El Paso that contains nothing but Tumbleweeds and jack rabbits.
    I-10 does not run through Midland. That is I-20 and it runs through Ft. Worth, Abilene and Midland before merging with I-10 and running on to El Paso. I-10 runs through San Antonio and my hometown of Sonora.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I-10 does not run through Midland. That is I-20 and it runs through Ft. Worth, Abilene and Midland before merging with I-10 and running on to El Paso. I-10 runs through San Antonio and my hometown of Sonora.
    I know that...but out around Ft. Stockton where 20 and 10 merge is where I was thinking of actually. That's a long stretch of nothing beteween Marfa and El Paso

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    It goes from 0-to60 in 10.1 seconds, which means it prolly takes maybe 15 seconds to get to 100. :p

Still... my mom's old-school "stealth hybrid" Accord prolly goes faster. :p

~QC
    Nah, it takes a lot longer than that, probably 20 at least. Acceleration isn't a constant function, it's an exponential one. (i.e. the faster you are traveling, the more energy it takes to increase your speed, which means as the car moves faster, it begins to accelerate at a slower rate)

As for your other comment about modification, yes there are probably many hackers and mechanics who can modify the engine control module to remove the governance. It's like flashing your smart phone with an upgrade or upgrading the firmware on your home cable modem. There's no real mechanical intervention involved, the speed governor is all software in most cases. The legality is on a state by state basis. In Arizona, it's perfectly legal to make whatever modifications you want to your vehicle so long as the modified vehicle meets the minimum federal law and federal regulatory requirements for its model year. I think there are additional Arizona laws about exhaust noise and window tint as well. However, all of these laws are just in theory. If you don't have an illegally loud exhaust system and your car passes emissions inspections, that all you really need. Police officers don't know all the regulations and laws from every model year. If you don't pass emissions, you don't get tags, and that the only way they know your car isn't in line with federal laws.
    Last edited by malloc; 09-09-2011 at 05:41 AM.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Speed limit of 85? Hmmm. I don't want to live in a hot place like Texas, but I do like to drive fast.

The closest thing we have is I-696. The speed limit is 70 mph, but it's our autobahn. We in metro Detroit are allegedly the scariest drivers in the world. I don't know-California drivers are crazy and Florida drivers are just plain annoying (especially on the first of the month, when Social Security checks come in the mail) . My father has become a very annoying driver since moving to Florida, and he once outdrove a tornado when I was a kid.