1. #1 French Country Beef Stew 
    From Everyday Health---sounds good. I'm going to make it, but cut the recipe in half. SR and I would get sick of it before we went through the 8 servings, but guess I could freeze the remainders.

French Country Beef Stew

Quick Info: Servings
    Contains Red Meat

Nutritional Info (Per serving): Calories: 255, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sodium: 287mg, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Total Fat: 8g, Carbs: 8g, Cholesterol: 65mg, Protein: 26g
    Carb Choices: 0.5

Recipe Source:

Prep Time: 25 mins
    Cook Time: 7 h 40 mins

Total Time: 8 h 5 mins

Ingredients

• 2 teaspoon oil, olive, extra virgin
    • 4 slice(s) turkey bacon
    • 1 1/2 cup(s) onion(s)
    • 1 1/2 cup(s) carrot(s)
    • 1/2 cup(s) celery
    • 3 cup(s) broth, reduced-sodium beef
    • 2 cup(s) wine, dry red
    • 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh
    • 2 whole bay leaves
    • 2 piece(s) orange peel
    • 3 3/4 pounds beef, shank
    • pepper, black ground
    • 1/2 cup(s) watercress
    Preparation

1. Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add broth, wine, thyme, bay leaves and orange zest. Bring to a boil.

2. Rinse beef with cool water to remove any bone bits. Place the beef in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker and turn heat to high. Carefully pour the hot vegetable mixture over the beef. Put the lid on and cook until the beef is falling-apart tender when prodded with a fork, 6 to 7 hours.

3. Preheat oven to 350F. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked beef to a bowl. Lift out the bones. Scoop marrow out and add to the meat, if desired; discard bones. Break the meat into 2- to 3-inch chunks with a spoon. Cover and keep warm.

4. Discard the bay leaves and orange zest from the sauce; skim fat. Pour the sauce into a large skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil, skimming froth from time to time, for about 20 minutes, to intensify flavors and thicken slightly. Season with pepper. Add the beef and heat through. To serve, ladle the stew into bowls and sprinkle with watercress (or parsley). Baked

Beef Stew variation: Total: 4 1/4 hours
    1. Preheat oven to 350F. In Step 1, use only 1 1/2 cups broth and 1 1/2 cups red wine.

2. In Step 2, place beef and vegetables in a Dutch oven, cover and bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

3. Skim fat. Discard the bay leaves and orange zest. Lift out the bones, scoop marrow and add, if desired; discard the bones. Break the meat into chunks.

4. Blend 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup water; stir into the stew. Return the pan to the oven and bake, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.

http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Power CUer
    I love shanks for long braises - beef, veal, lamb - but they are very fatty. If you do this recipe, do it a day and advance and refrigerate it. You'll be amazed at what you take off the top when it hardens.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Beef Shanks Braised in Three-Onion Broth

I saw a few recipes that called for the shanks to be cooked in a broth made from instant onion soup packets. As much as the thought of taking these wonderfully wholesome, all-natural, grass-fed shanks and sticking them in a sodium-packed, MSG-laced, artificially flavored and colored, dry soup mix repulsed me, the idea of cooking them in a French onion soup sounded pretty good.

It was better than pretty good -- it was fantastic! The collagen-rich shanks broke down beautifully and the combination of those succulent chucks of meat, sweet melted onions, buttery marrow, and rich aromatic sauce over the soft polenta, made for a very impressive bowl of food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1BT...layer_embedded

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    4 beef shanks (about 1 1/2-inch thick)
    3 large onions
    1 bay leave
    6 springs thyme
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 sprigs rosemary
    1/2 cup diced carrot
    1/2 cup diced celery
    salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
    2 cups beef broth
    chives to garnish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxbFS...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiF63...eature=related

Power CUer
    I looove all of those kinds of foods - that's why autumn and winter are my favorite cooking seasons.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I looove all of those kinds of foods - that's why autumn and winter are my favorite cooking seasons.
    ...They Make you Fat, a Little Fatter,.....Look away! Look away! Look away! ...

Power CUer
    Everything in moderation, Megi.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Everything in moderation, Megi.
    I hope so...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ur7yQEMi-g