Hybrid View

1. #1 Bachmann: Why do we Need a Department of Education, Anyway? 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Painting herself as a “constitutional conservative” Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann told Sen. Jim DeMint’s forum Monday that if elected president she would look to get rid of the Department of Education, among other things.

“Because the Constitution does not specifically enumerate nor does it give to the federal government the role and duty to superintend over education that historically has been held by the parents and by local communities and by state governments,” she said, responding to a question by DeMint, a popular figure among the tea party movement.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/09/0...ation-anyway/A

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Painting herself as a “constitutional conservative” Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann told Sen. Jim DeMint’s forum Monday that if elected president she would look to get rid of the Department of Education, among other things.

“Because the Constitution does not specifically enumerate nor does it give to the federal government the role and duty to superintend over education that historically has been held by the parents and by local communities and by state governments,” she said, responding to a question by DeMint, a popular figure among the tea party movement.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/09/0...ation-anyway/A
    I would tend to agree. And there are a few other agencies that could be eliminated as well.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

The Department of Education has done for education what low flow toilets have done to plumbing. There is no need for the DoE and it does more harm than good. As a matter of fact, the federal government in it' entirety has no business in the education business, period.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

I watched that thing on CNN today. I wish all the candidates had been present, and I really wish CNN hadn't gone to commercials every time a serious question was asked. Not that it surprised me.

Surprisingly to me, I think Newt and Ron Paul had the best answers to all the questions. I'm not a big fan of either, but they did well - at least what I heard in between commercials.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

I have been an active proponent of closing Department Of Education, a leftover from the Carter administration, for years. The bad news is Tom Delay commented once that closing DOE is one of the reasons he went to Washington. That bodes poorly for us 'closers', but maybe there is a growing movement.

Another candidate? Department of Energy. I believe it, also, is a Carter program, and it's charter - back in the 80s - was to get the U.S. off foreign oil. It ain't working, I guess.:mad:

Both DOE's are unconstitutional, ineffective, and examples of bloated government. I thought Not only do they need to go, they should never have been.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand