Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 German ex-Chancellor demands 'United States of Europe'. 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Gerhard Schroeder has just called for an end to “national sovereignty” and the creation of a “United States of Europe.” Does anyone else find this sort of talk a bit scary, especially when voiced by a former Chancellor of Germany?
    snip
    Among those who doesn’t, apparently, is our Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne. What Schroeder is proposing differs very little from what Osborne was suggesting earlier this summer when he wrote in the Telegraph:

As I’ve said, the eurozone countries need to accept the remorseless logic of monetary union that leads from a single currency to greater fiscal integration. Solutions such as euro bonds now require serious consideration if investors are to be convinced about the long-term future of the currency. A disorderly outcome would be disastrous for everyone, including Britain, so we should allow greater integration to happen, while ensuring we are not part of it and our own national interests are protected....

I agree totally with Osborne that where policy making decisions are concerned, it is a British government’s job to place British interests above all else. But if he honestly believes that the best way to make the nasty problem go away is to sacrifice the entire Eurozone to the political and regulatory strictures of a German-dominated superstate then maybe the history teaching at St Paul’s isn’t quite as brilliant as I’d imagined.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...tes-of-europe/

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    wont happen, the EU is a failure. Schroeder probably just wants to make himself relevant again. idiot
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Fabulous Poster
    Germany, Germany above everything,
    Above everything in the world,
    When, for protection and defence, it always
    takes a brotherly stand together.
    From the Meuse to the Memel,
    From the Adige to the Belt,
    |: Germany, Germany above everything,
    Above everything in the world! :|

German women, German loyalty,
    German wine and German song
    Shall retain in the world
    Their old beautiful chime
    And inspire us to noble deeds
    During all of our life.
    |: German women, German loyalty,
    German wine and German song! :|

Unity and justice and freedom
    For the German fatherland!
    For these let us all strive
    Brotherly with heart and hand!
    Are the pledge of fortune;
    |: Flourish in this fortune's blessing,
    Flourish, German fatherland! :|

We could use a little more of that national pride.

Banned
    The Euro will crumble and the German Mark will once again be their currency. I have a nice collection of old German silver coins.

Nova: We will never ever get any National Pride from the Muslim sympathizer at the W.H. I almost forgot about the left wing liberal anti-American pricks like Soris.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 09-05-2011 at 01:29 PM.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Germany, Germany above everything,
    Above everything in the world,
    When, for protection and defence, it always
    takes a brotherly stand together.
    From the Meuse to the Memel,
    From the Adige to the Belt,
    |: Germany, Germany above everything,
    Above everything in the world! :|

German women, German loyalty,
    German wine and German song
    Shall retain in the world
    Their old beautiful chime
    And inspire us to noble deeds
    During all of our life.
    |: German women, German loyalty,
    German wine and German song! :|

For the German fatherland!
    For these let us all strive
    Brotherly with heart and hand!
    Are the pledge of fortune;
    |: Flourish in this fortune's blessing,
    Flourish, German fatherland! :|

We could use a little more of that national pride.
    Do you Miss this song?...DAS LIED DER DEUTSCHEN......Deutschland, Deutschland ueber Alles ...

There's something about a German song. The Panzerlied, Erika, Victoria Seig Heil, Mein Guter Kamerad and others. Even not knowing what they're saying, I like them.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Banned
    The Auf Wiedersehen song played at the train station leaving Berlin prior to the wall coming down brings back good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    wont happen, the EU is a failure. Schroeder probably just wants to make himself relevant again. idiot
    It's more than a failure, it's a disaster. You cannot have monetary union with 17 different governments setting their own budgets and debts. The divergent credit ratings and fiscal policies has created tiers of creditors and debtors, with Germany, France and the other northern Eurozone nations footing the bill for the more profligate governments of Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Ireland. The bailout of Greece is creating a precedent that will force the EU to bail out Italy, and it's only a matter of time before Spain, Portugal or Ireland follows. Since economic failure is rewarded with bailouts, there is no impetus to undertake painful reforms. Without those reforms, which are basically pension and labor austerity and spending reductions, the options are default or bailout, and default returns Europe to the pre-Euro status quo. So, the question is, how long will Germany, France and and the other relatively productive nations put up with bailing out the slackers before their populations, which have been systematically disenfranchised by the European bureaucracy in Brussels, rebels? Anyone for a peacekeeping operation on the French Riviera? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    ...We could use a little more of that national pride.
    The reason that the single most affluent, populous nation in Europe signed onto the EU with such a vengeance is that the Germans have had their national identity tainted by two world wars. genocidal dictatorships and violent factionalism. Their solution was to identify with a new political entity, one that didn't have the same baggage, but it has failed. The problems of sovereignty aren't solved by a transnational EU, but exacerbated by it. German nationalism was preceded by the cravenly PC Weimar Republic (which had as many hate speech laws as the current EU), monetary collapse and the desire of restive minority populations for their own national sovereignty. The EU has returned to all of those problems, with none of the remedies that smaller political entities might have to redress them.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Oh boy when a German starts talking about a United Europe its time to watch out. lol :D

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Oh boy when a German starts talking about a United Europe its time to watch out. lol :D
    Today, Europe. Tomorrow, the world? :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!