Thread: George Soros: We Are Just Entering "Act 2" Of The Crisis, And We're Totally Screwed

1. #1 George Soros: We Are Just Entering "Act 2" Of The Crisis, And We're Totally Screwed 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    snip
    Indeed, we have just entered Act II of the drama, when financial markets started losing confidence in the credibility of sovereign debt. Greece and the euro have taken center stage, but the effects are liable to be felt worldwide. Doubts about sovereign credit are forcing reductions in budget deficits at a time when the banks and the economy may not be strong enough to permit the pursuit of fiscal rectitude. We find ourselves in a situation eerily reminiscent of the 1930s. Keynes has taught us that budget deficits are essential for counter cyclical policies, yet many governments have to reduce them under pressure from financial markets. This is liable to push the global economy into a double dip.

It is important to realize that the crisis in which we find ourselves is not just a market failure but also a regulatory failure, and even more importantly, a failure of the prevailing dogma about financial markets. I have in mind the Efficient Market Hypothesis and Rational Expectation Theory. These economic theories guided, or more exactly misguided, both the regulators and the financial engineers who designed the derivatives and other synthetic financial instruments and quantitative risk management systems which have played such an important part in the collapse. To gain a proper understanding of the current situation and how we got to where we are, we need to go back to basics and re-examine the foundation of economic theory.

I have developed an alternative theory about financial markets which asserts that financial markets do not necessarily tend toward equilibrium; they can just as easily produce asset bubbles. Nor are markets capable of correcting their own excesses. Keeping asset bubbles within bounds have to be an objective of public policy. I propounded this theory in my first book, “The Alchemy of Finance,” in 1987. It was generally dismissed at the time, but the current financial crisis has proven, not necessarily its validity, but certainly its superiority to the prevailing dogma.

Let me briefly recapitulate my theory for those who are not familiar with it. It can be summed up in two propositions. First, financial markets, far from accurately reflecting all the available knowledge, always provide a distorted view of reality. This is the principle of fallibility. The degree of distortion may vary from time to time. Sometimes it’s quite insignificant, at other times it is quite pronounced. When there is a significant divergence between market prices and the underlying reality I speak of far from equilibrium conditions. That is where we are now

http://www.businessinsider.com/georg...screwed-2010-6

Soros does go on, doesn't he? I tried to read "The Alchemy of Finance" once, but I gave up and began thinking of him in a little different light.

He's a little like Greenspan. He talks in circles following a P T Barnum-like approach of baffling us with bullshit.

But the one thing that Soros does - and he makes this point very clearly - is, he recognizes when he is right, and recognizes when he is wrong. Hard to believe, sometimes, for a man who has dumped billions into lefty organizations the way he has.........................but wait, maybe he'll succeed in destroying the U.S. economy yet.

He's trying.:(

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Soros does go on, doesn't he? I tried to read "The Alchemy of Finance" once, but I gave up and began thinking of him in a little different light.

He's a little like Greenspan. He talks in circles following a P T Barnum-like approach of baffling us with bullshit.

But the one thing that Soros does - and he makes this point very clearly - is, he recognizes when he is right, and recognizes when he is wrong. Hard to believe, sometimes, for a man who has dumped billions into lefty organizations the way he has.........................but wait, maybe he'll succeed in destroying the U.S. economy yet.

He's trying.:(
    http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/p....asp?indid=977