Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1 Very important, please read if you have pets 
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,591
    Danger, Danger

    Whether you have cats or dogs, be sure that you read this info. I've heard for a long time about chocolate, grapes and onions being dangerous, but some of these things might surprise you. It's better to be safe than sorry.

    Toxic and Dangerous Foods for Pets

    Do you know which foods and beverages might be harmful to your pets – and what to do if your pet ingests something toxic?


    By Elizabeth Mason Woods for WebVet
    Reviewed by Amy I. Attas, VMD

    Print Email

    Poison is a growing concern among pet owners. Household poisons are not the only thing that can harm your pets. Many common household foods and drugs can also be toxic to your pets. The following are foods that can be toxic or poisonous to your pets.



    Avocados. Avocados contain a toxin known as persin. Persin is found in various parts of the avocado and avocado trees (eg, leaves, rind, etc). This toxin is known mostly to cause vomiting and diarrhea. Birds and small pets seem most affected by the negative side effects of consuming avocado.
    Beer. Not just beer ... all alcohol. Depending on how much alcohol your animal ingests, it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, depression, difficulty breathing, coma, and possible death.
    Chocolate. Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine that is toxic to pets. If enough is ingested, your animal can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death. Cocoa mulch contains theobromine; the ASPCA advises dog owners to avoid using this fertilizer around unsupervised dogs, and dogs with indiscriminate eating habits since it can be toxic if ingested.
    Candy. Chocolate is the most common candy that is toxic to pets, especially to dogs, cats, and ferrets. Any candy containing the sweetener xylitol can also be toxic to pets.
    Caffeine. Caffeine is generally highly toxic to pets, having negative effects on both the cardiac and nervous systems. Side effects can include vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death.

    Grapes and raisins. An unknown toxin in grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and ultimately lead to death. Symptoms of this poisoning can include hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, and irregular heartbeat.
    Nuts. An unknown toxin in nuts can have negative effects on the nervous, digestive, and muscular systems of your pet. Symptoms can include muscle tremors, weakness, an upset stomach, vomiting, depression, inactivity, and stiffness. Particularly avoid Macadamia nuts.
    Onions. Onions, along with garlic and chives, are all part of the same species of plant — the Allium species. Allium species plants contain sulfur compounds that can cause stomach irritation and possibly result in damage to red blood cells causing anemia. This is referred to as Allium poisoning.
    Some human medicines. While some human medications are prescribed for pets by veterinarians, others can be highly toxic and fatal. Acetaminophen, which is contained in Tylenol and other similar products, for example, can be fatal to cats. Always consult with your veterinarian before giving human medication to a pet.
    Xylitol (artificial sugar). Xylitol is a sweetener used in many products including mouthwash, chewing gum, toothpaste, and various foods. Because it is toxic to pets, products containing xylitol should not be given to your dog or cat.
    Lily Plants. All portions of the lily plant are poisonous to cats when ingested. Just a nibble of the leaf, petal, or stem can cause irreversible kidney failure despite extensive medical treatment.


    Other foods that can be toxic to your pet:
    • Apple Seeds
    • Chives (see "onions," above)
    • Fruit pits, especially those of apricots, peaches, plums, nectarines, and cherries
    • Garlic (see "onions" above)
    • Moldy foods
    • Mustard seeds
    • Potato leaves and stems
    • Rhubarb leaves
    • Salt
    • Tea
    • Tomato leaves and stems
    Toxic Household Items
    • Antifreeze
    • Liquid potpourri
    • Polyurethane glue
    • Pennies
    • Pine-oil cleaners
    A study by the pet health insurance company VPI found that these were the top 10 foods and plants involved in pet poisoning claims:
    1. Raisins/Grapes
    2. Mushrooms
    3. Marijuana
    4. Lily flowers
    5. Walnuts
    6. Onion
    7. Sago Palm
    8. Macadamia nuts
    9. Azalea flowers
    10. Hydrangea flowers
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Posts
    2,147
    I almost lost a dog to antifreeze once. They must love the smell of the stuff or something because I spilled some, and the dog ran over, and I had a hard time keeping him away from the spill while I got the hose and what-not to clean it up. No matter what commands I gave him or how I tried to "claim the territory" around the spill, the idiot dog wouldn't leave it alone. I finally ended up locking him in the bathroom while I did the cleanup. Of course, this particular dog was my dad's springer, and they aren't the brightest bunch in my opinion....
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    SEAduced SuperMod Hawkgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,061
    I use Pine Sol for floor cleaning:eek:

    but my cats don't lick the floor unless they are eating food off it....I will switch though, just in case.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    950
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I use Pine Sol for floor cleaning:eek:

    but my cats don't lick the floor unless they are eating food off it....I will switch though, just in case.
    It's a good idea especially with animals that clean their toes. They get the solution on their feet and lick it off.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •