Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1 Oh Good,Lets Spread It Around: Lifetime Blood Donor Ban for Gay Men Lifted (UK) 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Gay men will be able to give blood as long as they haven't had sex for 12 months, the Government announced today, overturning a lifetime ban brought in due to the spread of HIV and Aids......But the decision relies on the honesty of the donors as to when they last had sex, which is the same with anyone in an 'at risk' group who wishes to give blood.


    ...The move came in response to new scientific evidence that found a lifetime ban was an unnecessary safety precaution.....Health officials hope it will lead to an increase in the number of blood donors at a time of shortages across the UK....The change was welcomed by leading lesbian, gay and bisexual organisations who said it was a step forward for equal rights..
    SNIP
    Although all blood donations are screened for HIV, hepatitis B and C and syphilis very recent infections may not be detected....Scientists now say HIV cannot be detected until four weeks after infection and hepatitis B takes significantly longer.....There is then a second window period in the later stages of infection (up to 12 months) when it may not be detected, which is why there is a deferral period of one year.
    SNIP
    From November 7 this year, only men who have had anal or oral sex with another man in the past 12 months (with or without a condom) will be asked not to donate blood.....This includes non-infected gay men in monogamous relationships.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar....html#comments
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,145
    Here we go again!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,154
    They are going to risk lives on the Altar of political correctness. Fags have a much higher infection rate with HIV then straight men. They should be banned from giving blood.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Every blood donation is screened for infectious diseases. Every blood donor knows this, and in fact, every donor who's blood tests positive for HIV is notified, which actually reduces the spread of AIDS by people who don't know they are infected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Every blood donation is screened for infectious diseases. Every blood donor knows this, and in fact, every donor who's blood tests positive for HIV is notified, which actually reduces the spread of AIDS by people who don't know they are infected.
    Those tests are overly cautious as well and often have false alarms. A girlfriend of mine got tested positive in that initial screening. The next two weeks were a bit stressful, but yeah it was just a false positive.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Those tests are overly cautious as well and often have false alarms. A girlfriend of mine got tested positive in that initial screening. The next two weeks were a bit stressful, but yeah it was just a false positive.
    That's frightening, but it's better to err on the side of caution to prevent the spread of infection. I don't wish that sort of scare on anyone but that keeps diseases from spreading and makes more people get tested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,499
    Please note SR's update to the rules on this forum. This is for general information, not flame throwing, politics or inflammatory titles. Please check out his comments.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"


    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    SEAduced SuperMod Hawkgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,058
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    [B][SIZE="3"]Gay men will be able to give blood as long as they haven't had sex for 12 months, the Government announced today, [/url]

    NO one has anything to worry about, gays (primarily men) are promiscuous, they will not go a year without sex.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    NO one has anything to worry about, gays (primarily men) are promiscuous, they will not go a year without sex.
    So if they give blood we all are in danger ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    SEAduced SuperMod Hawkgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,058
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    So if they give blood we all are in danger ?
    They won't give blood if it stipulates that they must go one year with no sex before donating. Unless they are dishonest.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •