Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mel Gibson To Collaborate On Film About Judah Maccabee 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    EXCLUSIVE: Itís a project that will have everybody in Hollywood and beyond talking about. Iíve learned that Warner Bros has set up an untitled drama that teams Gibson and screenwriter Joe Eszterhas on the telling of the heroic story of Eszterhas will write the script and I understand that Gibson will collaborate with him.

Judah Maccabee, the Jewish warrior who teamed with his father and four brothers to lead the Jewish revolt against the Greek-Syrian armies that had conquered Judea in the second century B.C. .....

Gibson has the first option to direct but will definitely produce the film through his Icon Productions banner. Itís understandable why Warner Bros would want to be back in business with Gibson, who was once a high-profile fixture there and who made a fortune for that studio with the Lethal Weapon series and other films.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/shoc...r-warner-bros/

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I'd like to see it if it is done well.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I'd like to see it if it is done well.
    He did an excellent portrayal of what Jesus suffered during his passions
    in his film of The Passion Of The Christ .The shock of Romans brutality
    and the total lack of any compassion for an known innocent man..

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    True. This is a good topic for a film. I don't recall ever seeing a movie based on the Maccabean Revolt.

True. This is a good topic for a film. I don't recall ever seeing a movie based on the Maccabean Revolt.
    JUDAH MACCABEE
    http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...1_0_10448.html

I agree. We need new stories (or in this case, unfamiliar stories) for our movies. I'm sick of the whole trend of making classic tv shows into movies.

Plus, we have hundreds of Christmas movies. The Jews have one Adam Sandler cartoon movie for Hannukah. They deserve better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I agree. We need new stories (or in this case, unfamiliar stories) for our movies. I'm sick of the whole trend of making classic tv shows into movies.

Plus, we have hundreds of Christmas movies. The Jews have one Adam Sandler cartoon movie for Hannukah. They deserve better than that.
    They also have Sandy Koufax.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post

Those beatings made me queasy...I had to fast forward...:(

It may not be so unusual for a Catholic to do a film on the Maccabees. The Catholic Bible, unlike most Protestant versions, contains both books of Maccabees (1 and 2). (The Orthodox version contains 4 books of Maccabees.) For Catholics, these books are holy writ and traditional Catholics know them.

The time of Jesus arrived as the Romans took over a disintegrating Maccabee dynasty. The story goes that Aristobulus and his brother John Hyrcanus were the two last Maccabee heirs and they stood diametrically opposed to each other on matters of religion and state. Aristobulus might have taken his brother down with the army, but Pompey brought the Roman army to intervene. (Jewish historian Josephus claims that the Romans were asked in by John Hyrcanus.) The Maccabee kingdom begins and ends with a Judas: Judas Maccabee fights and defeats the weakening Seleucid Greek oppressors, and Judus of Gamala/Galillee revolts in vain against the Roman census at the death of Herod the Great (Rome's puppet ruler from Idumea/Edom) in 4 B.C.

http://latter-rain.com/ltrain/judasm.htm

It's almost impossible to understand the desperation of the Jewish people under Rome without understanding the loss of their kingdom and self rule under the Maccabees and the replacement of their rightful kings with foreign Roman puppets who were not Jewish. There is much connection between Maccabees and the century that ushered in Jesus, and perhaps MEl Gibson understands this as a devout Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Those beatings made me queasy...I had to fast forward...:(
    My girlfriend and I saw it in a theatre, so we didn't have the luxury. She was in tears throughout that portion of the movie.

I'm glad that Gibson is doing this though. He has done an amazing job on epic movies like this.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.