1. #1 Speaking of golf and the deficit 
    Fabulous Poster
    I'll state up front: I am not simply disinterested in golf, I feel a form of contempt for it. I find it deceitful (calling itself a sport), boring, and mostly an excuse for old men to drink in the daytime. I no doubt developed this opinion in my childhood when I would observe the golfers going in and out of the clubhouse while I was at the pool or playground. I also remember asking my grandad why he didn't golf more, and he said it was a waste of time. That would have sealed it in my book.

But that isn't the point of today's gem.

I want to know how much the US government spends on golf courses. You guys here like to bitch about Obama playing golf (and we could all speculate that it's part of his affect) , but those golf courses weren't built or maintained for him.

Washington DC alone has several US government funded golf courses, one can only imagine how many of these money toilets we have nationwide, worldwide even. ISn't there a golf course on Diego Fucking Garcia? What other "sport" gets this kind of expenditure?

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I'll state up front: I am not simply disinterested in golf, I feel a form of contempt for it. I find it deceitful (calling itself a sport), boring, and mostly an excuse for old men to drink in the daytime. I no doubt developed this opinion in my childhood when I would observe the golfers going in and out of the clubhouse while I was at the pool or playground. I also remember asking my grandad why he didn't golf more, and he said it was a waste of time. That would have sealed it in my book.

I want to know how much the US government spends on golf courses. You guys here like to bitch about Obama playing golf (and we could all speculate that it's part of his affect) , but those golf courses weren't built or maintained for him.

Washington DC alone has several US government funded golf courses, one can only imagine how many of these money toilets we have nationwide, worldwide even. ISn't there a golf course on Diego Fucking Garcia? What other "sport" gets this kind of expenditure?
    I don't have the exact figures, but I would guess that very few courses are owned or funded by the federal government. I do know that there were a lot of courses on military bases around the country, but many of those have closed or changed over to private management over the years.

Cities/municipalities/counties own a majority of public courses and do not rely on taxpayer funds to run them as they are self-sustaining. Or at least they were over the years, the poor economy has hit both public and private golf courses very hard over the past five years.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post

Another one of your green with envy post. Golf is a game enjoyed by millions like Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, etc. I would explain what they derive from playing but the meaning would get lost in the translation because you are that f.....k stupid.

Since you have provided no facts or figures, you are just guessing. Imagination does not get the job done. I know that the public course about a mile from my house is making a killing. You have to call up to reserve a tee time Thurs thru Sunday and all the golf carts (50 of them) go out in the am and then again in the afternoon.

What is the name of the several US funded golf courses in DC, and where is your evidence that the courses do not pay for themselves. You are just a stupid hating envious liberal if you can not provide us with details. Go play marbles with the kids in the trailer park you live in.
    Last edited by SaintLouieWoman; 09-13-2011 at 12:11 PM.

I'm not a golfer-the closest thing to golf I ever played was mini-golf.

The city of Detroit has a few golf courses, that were constructed during better times. They make enough money to maintain them, and the one on Belle Isle always looks pretty busy.

Just don't bring any valuables with you and definitely do not leave a lap top or anything in your car while you play.

Banned
    I enjoy playing just not very good at it. My dad made it a point to teach me when I was younger and my oldest has picked up the sport because of my dad