Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What is American? 
    With the 10th anniversity of 9/11/01 looming, what does it even mean to be American?

You guys remember the iconic photo of the three FDNY (who were all white) being changed to "multiculturist" crap for a sculpture just a scant few years later...

Do Americans count?

I read a story recently, where FDNY doesn't get space at "ground zero" for this mile-stone. Another story said that one tribute wouldn't be allowed unless all country flags were flown....

It happened HERE! It was TARGETED at us!

Don't WE COUNT?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

What is American?
    Start by excluding liberals and DIMoRATS; anything remaining is probably an American.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Fabulous Poster
    I've never understood all this melodramatic memorial at ground zero hoopla from the start. These people attacked us and cost us thousands of lives and billions and billions of dollars.

All we need is a huge plaque that says, "Vengeance and Victory shall always be ours."

A quadriga would be nice too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I've never understood all this melodramatic memorial at ground zero hoopla from the start. These people attacked us and cost us thousands of lives and billions and billions of dollars.

All we need is a huge plaque that says, "Vengeance and Victory shall always be ours."

You don't understand shit, boy. So, what else is new. Go stick your head in the sand tomorrow with the rest of your misfit buddies over at DU.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    You don't understand shit, boy. So, what else is new. Go stick your head in the sand tomorrow with the rest of your misfit buddies over at DU.
    Actually, he's proposing something pretty aggressive. . .a Quadriga is a Roman Sculpture used to commemorate major military victories.
    We don't build aggressive public artwork like that anymore. Obama said he didn't want to spike the football. Nova's not just proposing a football spike, but that coupled with "Vengeance and...."etc. It's a football spike and making out with the head cheerleader while fireworks spelling out your name go off, concluding with a fighter jet flyover.

The bolded (a war memorial) is a good place to include (and you KNOW your fellow travelers on the left would NEVER allow this) but... the need is simple.

People need to mourn ritualistically. It's cathartic.

Plus, I think (for some) it's an attempt to reach for the commonality that characterized the first couple days after. We stopped being Left/Right, Red/Blue, etc for a week after 9/11. I think that's what some people reach for in the ritualistic mourning of that day.

And if there's not much else humans (as a species) do, it's ritualistically mourn. I already wear black for work tomorrow, so . . . yeah.

~QC
    Last edited by CueSi; 09-11-2011 at 12:20 AM.
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

You know, I hate when we agree....:o

Hopefully they got the 1000 ft by tomorrow....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post

~QC
    That's true. When my dad died, I remember wishing I were Jewish so I would know what to do and when the period of mourning would be over. I also remembered watching a woman in Ghana scream dance and roll on the ground when the village matron came out of her house and told the woman her mother was dead. It seemed to be much healthier than what I was doing, ie keeping busy, trying not to cry, and trying to be dignified.

BTW, I mentioned you the other evening in conversation (flatteringly, of course) and my mother asked who you are. I said, "She's the woman who taught me that not all Anglo-Saxons are white."

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    Actually, he's proposing something pretty aggressive. . .a Quadriga is a Roman Sculpture used to commemorate major military victories.
    We don't build aggressive public artwork like that anymore. Obama said he didn't want to spike the football. Nova's not just proposing a football spike, but that coupled with "Vengeance and...."etc. It's a football spike and making out with the head cheerleader while fireworks spelling out your name go off, concluding with a fighter jet flyover.

The bolded (a war memorial) is a good place to include (and you KNOW your fellow travelers on the left would NEVER allow this) but... the need is simple.

Plus, I think (for some) it's an attempt to reach for the commonality that characterized the first couple days after. We stopped being Left/Right, Red/Blue, etc for a week after 9/11. I think that's what some people reach for in the ritualistic mourning of that day.

And if there's not much else humans (as a species) do, it's ritualistically mourn. I already wear black for work tomorrow, so . . . yeah.

~QC
    Even at my age I'm ashamed to say, the cheer leader part excites me. Thanks for making me feel like a pagan just before church. :mad::o
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

BTW, I mentioned you the other evening in conversation (flatteringly, of course) and my mother asked who you are. I said, "She's the woman who taught me that not all Anglo-Saxons are white."
    Awwwww. . . Well, I guess it's true... My parents are working class 1960's Brits w/ a pallet swap. :p

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Even at my age I'm ashamed to say, the cheer leader part excites me. Thanks for making me feel like a pagan just before church. :mad::o
    ROFL. . .my job here is done. :D

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

An American is somebody who was born in the United States of America, for better or worse, or richer or pooer, in sickness and in health, do death do them part.