Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Rahm Pops His Cork At Teachers Union President.. 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Teachers union president says Mayor Emanuel ‘exploded’ at her

The president of the Chicago Teachers Union says Mayor Rahm Emanuel “exploded” at her during a debate over a longer school day, pointing his finger in her face, yelling and cursing.

CTU President Karen Lewis made the allegations in a Friday morning press release detailing a complaint filed by the union to the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board over the ongoing battle between the union and City Hall.

“A couple of weeks ago I sat down with the mayor in his office to talk about how to roll out a longer school year and what components would go into making it a better school year for our students but he did not want to have that conversation,” said Lewis. “When I explained to him that a longer school day should not be used for warehousing or babysitting our youth he exploded, used profanity, pointed his finger in my face and yelled. At that point the conversation was over — soon thereafter we found ourselves subject to a full-scale propaganda war over a moot point.”

Asked for his version of the incident at an event Friday with U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Emanuel said “I’m not going to get into a he-said, she-said. ... We had a good meeting. ... She hugged me at the end of the meeting.”

However, Lewis, the CTU and its parent union, the Illinois Federation of Teachers were conspicuously absent from Friday’s event featuring key players in passing Illinois new school reform bill. All had been invited.

Duncan took the opportunity to tell a crowd of mostly officials and reporters that “teachers have been beaten down too long” and “I think we need to double the salaries for teachers... Great teachers should make $130,000, $140,000, $150,000. They shouldn’t have to wait to age 55 to make a good living. They shouldn’t have to take a vow of poverty.”

http://www.suntimes.com/7558652-417/...ed-at-her.html

Schools should NOT be used to warehouse and babysit kids. If you want to make the day or the year longer - have a valid reason for so doing. And for those who kvetch about teachers getting summers off - remember: You're complaining about having the little darlings home for 2 months - who the hell do you think is putting up with them the other 10?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Schools should NOT be used to warehouse and babysit kids. If you want to make the day or the year longer - have a valid reason for so doing. And for those who kvetch about teachers getting summers off - remember: You're complaining about having the little darlings home for 2 months - who the hell do you think is putting up with them the other 10?
    You are sucking in top dollar to make your later days brighter...Where else could you make so much money with so little effort ?

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    You are sucking in top dollar to make your later days brighter...Where else could you make so much money with so little effort ?
    Teachers in this country, public or private make roughly $26,000 - $100,000 per year from new hires to long term survivors.

They are hardly stealing their paychecks.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I'm all for teachers making 100K+/year as long as they meet certain requirements and know how to teach effectively, and not just how to take a test, but actual critical thinking skills. And schools are allowed to get out of unions, teachers allowed not to have to join said unions, and all jobs are competitive and they get rid of seniority
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I'm all for teachers making 100K+/year as long as they meet certain requirements and know how to teach effectively, and not just how to take a test, but actual critical thinking skills. And schools are allowed to get out of unions, teachers allowed not to have to join said unions, and all jobs are competitive and they get rid of seniority
    Yes, just take worker loyalty and life experience and chuck it down the hole along with collective bargaining rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Teachers in this country, public or private make roughly $26,000 - $100,000 per year from new hires to long term survivors.

They are hardly stealing their paychecks.
    Horse biscuits...You critters are the major draw on every city and towns budget in America...

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Yes, just take worker loyalty and life experience and chuck it down the hole along with collective bargaining rights.
    if the worker is good, there is no reason for the company/school/government office to get rid of them. They are still covered under all laws governing discrimination and wrongful termination.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Horse biscuits...You critters are the major draw on every city and towns budget in America...
    Well, the fact that people breed like rats might have something to do with that.

It also might be that education is a primary function of municipal government.

It's rather like saying that police departments would be alot more affordable if they didn't have to pay people.

I'm sorry, what talent do you bring the world that you give away for free? Other than cross posting from Free Republic that is?

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    if the worker is good, there is no reason for the company/school/government office to get rid of them. They are still covered under all laws governing discrimination and wrongful termination.
    Have you any idea of the politics of schools? One thing collective bargaining does is give employees recourse, so the same bitch who is trying to get you fired isn't the one who get's to decide if her actions are correct.