Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Democrats in rural strongholds refuse to give backing to Obama 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Johnny Telvor was not happy about Barack Obama becoming the Democratic presidential nominee. Not happy at all. Standing outside the sturdy courthouse in the sweltering heat of a West Virginia afternoon in the small town of Williamson, Telvor smoked a cigarette and bluntly gave his opinion of Obama's historic mission to be America's first black president. 'We'll end up slaves. We'll be made slaves just like they was once slaves,' he said. Telvor, a white Democrat who supported Hillary Clinton in West Virginia's primary, said he planned to vote for Republican John McCain in November. 'At least he's an American,'...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...hillaryclinton

Goldwater
    Out of all the reasons to vote against Barack Obama, this guy chooses his skin color. :|

Power CUer
    I think a lot of people will vote based on skin color, sadly; this guy is just honest enough to say so. I can't see how voting for Obama will fit with my interests at all, which is my objection to him; it's policy-based, not complexion-based.

But behind such optimism, another America looms. It is an America far from the headlines that have proclaimed Obama's candidacy a revolution that will atone for a race-tinged history. This is the America where outrageous rumours that Obama is a Muslim are readily believed. It is the America where Telvor is able to voice a sentiment that 'Obama might actually be the antichrist' without apparent irony or fear of contradiction.
    You've got to wonder...did the British Guardian find real racism, or just write their own racist hit piece on...
    poor, white Americans
    Seriously, 80% of the Democratic voters in some counties went for Hillary due to racism? In today's America?

I don't actually even believe that a huge percentage voted for Obama only because he is black.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Out of all the reasons to vote against Barack Obama, this guy chooses his skin color. :|
    Looks like the media is trying to invent a narrative--and a reason for a totally unqualified candidate not to win. If Barack loses, the world media can say, "Look at those racist Americans!" and not , "Why did the Democratic party aid and abet a completely unqualified guy to become the candidate?"

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Looks like the media is trying to invent a narrative--and a reason for a totally unqualified candidate not to win. If Barack loses, the world media can say, "Look at those racist Americans!" and not , "Why did the Democratic party aid and abet a completely unqualified guy to become the candidate?"
    Maybe, but I don't doubt that a lot of these people exist, just as his skin color helped him in some state primary and caucus, it also looks to be a disadvantage in other areas. But I agree, West Virginia not embracing him does not mean everyone there is a racist.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Maybe, but I don't doubt that a lot of these people exist, just as his skin color helped him in some state primary and caucus, it also looks to be a disadvantage in other areas. But I agree, West Virginia not embracing him does not mean everyone there is a racist.
    I'll bet you there were just as many out there who didn't want a woman telling them what to do either. In some places, they went with race, in others they went with gender. Six of one, half dozen of the other. The sad thing is that EVERYONE was more qualified than Obama, and the most qualified (Dodd, Biden) couldn't even get a foothold. Even that king of insanity, Dennis Kucinich, got more coverage.

And Biden was gotten out of the way early by being accused of racism for saying that Obama was "articulate." This was the same crap the Obama folks used on the Clintons. Some day, we have to get to the point where we overlook the race baiting and vote for the more experienced person anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I think a lot of people will vote based on skin color, sadly; this guy is just honest enough to say so. I can't see how voting for Obama will fit with my interests at all, which is my objection to him; it's policy-based, not complexion-based.
    I think you're right. I worked the polls at the primary here and was sadened by the horrible comments I heard from the voters.
    I don't care what Obama's race is - it's his policies that worry me.

Quote Originally Posted by elspeth
    Trying to get people to vote for Obama out of guilt?

Besides he's mulatto not black. So if we don't vote for him we're also 50% racist against whites.
    Woe to those who call evil good
    and good evil,
    who put darkness for light
    and light for darkness,
    who put bitter for sweet
    and sweet for bitter.

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    and clever in their own sight.

Isaiah 5:20-21

So Obama's not an American? What does it take to be an American?