Thread: An Interview on Thursday!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 An Interview on Thursday! 
    It's been over 10 years since I've been on an interview! I got a call today from the Director of a local hospital requesting an interview. I submitted an application about a month ago while I was going through my "I hate my boss" moments. I didnt' expect to be called as this would be a promotion. She left a message on my voicemail asking me to call her tomorrow to schedule an interview for Thursday or next Tuesday.

What do I wear? I have to dress conservatively as that's what hospitals want. Dark dress slacks and business blouse, I suppose.

I would probably get a pay cut, eventhough this is a higher position because the hospital I currently work at pays the most...but who knows...maybe not. It would be a DAY shift position, which means I can tuck my daughter in at night...and it's a perfect schedule for once she starts school. OMG..that means waking up early in the morning...:eek:

Do I want this job? If I want it...I will get it. But do I want it....do I give it my all? It's hard to leave a place after ten years..:(

Suggestions?

Any chance that someone from your current place of employment knows that you post here? If so, maybe this should be moved to the whiny zone, where only members can view the posts.

I worked for my company for 4 years, then jumped for a large corporation that made management promises that never panned out. I returned to my original company and stayed there for 20+ years. Who knows, it's a crap shoot. I guess you have to balance whether you'll get the boss's job if she ever leaves and keep the higher pay or go for the possible greater opportunity with possibility of less pay.

My hunch is that you can negotiate a higher salary or at least the same. I'm sure the other place really wants you. Do you know anyone who works there who can fill you in on the political landscape there? I've been offered jobs in the past where I knew going in that they were snakes. I passed on them.

BTW, went to a physical therapy rehab facility here, scoping out the facilities before the knee surgery, and the person showing me around was a nurse who was 71 years old and still working. So you possibly could have a long wait for the current boss to quit if she still has a mortgage.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

What do I wear? I have to dress conservatively as that's what hospitals want. Dark dress slacks and business blouse, I suppose.
    Can you visit the hospital before your interview to check out what the others in your prospective position are wearing? Or at least get the general idea of what folks there are wearing?

It would be a DAY shift position, which means I can tuck my daughter in at night...and it's a perfect schedule for once she starts school. OMG..that means waking up early in the morning...:eek:

Do I want this job? If I want it...I will get it. But do I want it....do I give it my all? It's hard to leave a place after ten years..:(

Suggestions?
    "and it's a perfect schedule for once she starts school." Something to consider, yes?

As for waking up early in the morning ... hell's bell's, if I could do it when I had to, anyone can! :D

I was BORN not doing mornings. I still hate them!

Hard to leave a place after 10 years? Yes, it is ... but things always change, especially these days, do they not?

Hawkgirl ... You sound like a very likeable, level headed woman, (and a caring mother to your sweet little girl.) I doubt that you would have a hard time getting along in a new environment.

How about putting pencil to paper and writing up the PROS and CONS to accepting this new position? As many and mundane as you can think of. Should help you to make up your mind.

Good luck, and hope these suggestions are of some use to you!

~ ABC
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 09-13-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I didnt' expect to be called as this would be a promotion. ?
    A promotion, nice!:)
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Any chance that someone from your current place of employment knows that you post here? If so, maybe this should be moved to the whiny zone, where only members can view the posts.

Nope...no one...and even if they were to find this place on accident...they wouldn't know this screen name.

Besides, most of my coworkers are libs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    A promotion, nice!:)

In title, at least...maybe not in $ :(

Banned
    Hard to say. ABC has some good ideas. A day job would probably work out better for you when your little girl starts school.

Hi,is everyone ignoring my posts?

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Can you visit the hospital before your interview to check out what the others in your prospective position are wearing? Or at least get the general idea of what folks there are wearing?

The clinical staff wears scrubs ( I do too, here, eventhough I don't do anything clinical, anymore) All hospitals are different, but clearly, I can't wear scrubs on an interview...it would have to be business wear...which means if I decide to work there, I have to buy clothes)

"and it's a perfect schedule for once she starts school." Something to consider, yes? YES! a big positive.

As for waking up early in the morning ... hell's bell's, if I could do it when I had to, anyone can! :D

I was BORN not doing mornings. I still hate them!

Hard to leave a place after 10 years? Yes, it is ... but things always change, especially these days, do they not?

Hawkgirl ... You sound like a very likeable, level headed woman, (and a caring mother to your sweet little girl.) I doubt that you would have a hard time getting along in a new environment. thanks:D

How about putting pencil to paper and writing up the PROS and CONS to accepting this new position? As many and mundane as you can think of. Should help you to make up your mind.

Good luck, and hope these suggestions are of some use to you!

~ ABC
    I will certainly try to keep my salary the same...but it would probably be a paycut...won't hurt to try though.

I am so bored at my job (other than the times by boss makes me the target of her hostility)...It feels like I'm on cruise control. I don't have to think anymore here...I feel like my brain is being wasted..and I don't mean that in an arrogant way, but I'm just not challenged anymore. I will call the director tomorrow and get a feel for the position.....the management team seems to be from Boston, and since I'm from the Northeast, I will probably fit right in...I just have to be a closet conservative.:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by hai View Post
    Hi,is everyone ignoring my posts?
    No Hai, wish Hawkgirl well at her interview.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg