1. #1 3.0 M - Earthquake ....ALABAMA 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    3.0 M - ALABAMA Preliminary Earthquake Report Magnitude 3.0 M Date-Time 13 Sep 2011 22:59:23 UTC13 Sep 2011 17:59:23 near epicenter13 Sep 2011 16:59:23 standard time in your timezone Location 33.591N 86.671W Depth 5 km Distances 5 km (3 miles) S (171 degrees) of Center Point, AL 7 km (4 miles) NNE (13 degrees) of Irondale, AL 7 km (4 miles) SSW (206 degrees) of Grayson Valley, AL 15 km (9 miles) ENE (61 degrees) of Birmingham, AL 514 km (320 miles) NE (38 degrees) of New Orleans, LA Location Uncertainty Horizontal: 14.0 km; Vertical 2.1 km Parameters Nph...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2777886/posts

A 3.0 is nothin, my sister in-law causes a 3.0 when she gets up to go to the bathroom and have a cookie in the middle of the night!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    A 3.0 is nothin, my sister in-law causes a 3.0 when she gets up to go to the bathroom and have a cookie in the middle of the night!

Not too far from New Madrid Seismic Zone....The zone had four of the largest North American earthquakes in recorded history, with moment magnitudes estimated to be as large as 8.0, all occurring within a three-month period between December 1811 and February 1812.
    snip
    Aftershocks were felt every six to ten minutes, a total of 27, in New Madrid until what was called the Daylight Shock, which was of the same intensity as the first. Many of these were also felt throughout the eastern US, though with less intensity than the initial earthquake.

December 16, 1811, the Daylight Shock, 1415 UTC (8:15 a.m.); (M ~7.2 – 8.2) epicenter in northeast Arkansas; This shock followed the first earthquake by six hours and was similar in intensity.

January 23, 1812, 1500 UTC (9 a.m.); (M ~7.0 – 8.0) epicenter in the Missouri Bootheel. The meizoseismal area was characterized by general ground warping, ejections, fissuring, severe landslides, and caving of stream banks. Johnston and Schweig attributed this earthquake to a rupture on the New Madrid North Fault. This may have placed strain on the Reelfoot Fault.

February 7, 1812, 0945 UTC (4:45 a.m.); (M ~7.4 – 8.6) epicenter near New Madrid, Missouri. New Madrid was destroyed. At St. Louis, Missouri, many houses were severely damaged, and their chimneys were toppled. This shock was definitively attributed to the Reelfoot Fault by Johnston and Schweig. It was uplift along this reverse fault segment, in this event, that created waterfalls on the Mississippi River, disrupted the Mississippi River at Kentucky Bend, created a wave that propagated upstream and caused the formation of Reelfoot Lake.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/..._map/index.php

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Good point about New Madrid.

That fault area has the potential to be a disaster.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I remember back in the 90's that there was a HUGE freak out that the New Madrid fault was about to go. If an 7-8.0+ earthquake was to happen there, the vast majority of American's would be affected. Thats one I'd probably actually feel.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I remember back in the 90's that there was a HUGE freak out that the New Madrid fault was about to go. If an 7-8.0+ earthquake was to happen there, the vast majority of American's would be affected. Thats one I'd probably actually feel.

The one tremor I felt in Detroit (in the 90s) was a rumble along the New Madrid fault. A big quake along that fault could do a lot of damage in some big cities, like Cinncinati, St. Louis, maybe even impact Chicago and Detroit with some damage-it would affect a lot of people. Maybe even more than when "the big one" finally hits southern California.