View Poll Results: Are you conservative, and an atheist?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conservative and believe in a higher power

19 67.86%
  • Conservative and do not believe in a higher power

7 25.00%
  • Liberal and believe in a higher power

2 7.14%
  • Liberal and do not believe in a higher power

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Are you a conservative atheist? 
    Take note of the thread location before anything else. This is the lounge, so lets not let things get nasty in here.

Anyways, it seems everytime I turn a corner I see a new "conservative atheist" in here, and I was just curious how many of us there really were posting here.

I included options for our liberal members. Didn't want them to feel left out.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Thanks for the thread, dj.......

I have every respect for those (including my devout Southern Baptist wife of over thirty years) who accept the concept of a creator, and/or some other form of higher power, and I have no qualm with any religion that does not wish me harm. Personally, my opinion is that the world would be better off with a universal practice of Judeo-Christian morality. I've long noticed how many configurations of higher powers have appeared and evolved over the millennia.

Digressing a bit, the concept of dark energy shows that we can learn and evolve. Eventually, we'll learn that there is no need for a higher being because the Universe is very mechanical. But we can only hope to survive until then.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Take note of the thread location before anything else. This is the lounge, so lets not let things get nasty in here.

Anyways, it seems everytime I turn a corner I see a new "conservative atheist" in here, and I was just curious how many of us there really were posting here.

Does Buddhism relate to a higher power or a higher plane of existence?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Does Buddhism relate to a higher power or a higher plane of existence?
    If you're not sure, you can learn about Buddhism here...and other religions as well.

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post

Every-time I turn the corner I see an new a God fearing conservative member. Facts are the overwhelming majority of citizens in the US believe in a higher power. Looks like you are in the minority. You can contact your atheist buddies to vote but it will still not change that fact. Note, I respect the fact that others are atheist but don't try to slap me in the face with it.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 09-14-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Every-time I turn the corner I see an new a God fearing conservative member. Facts are the overwhelming majority of citizens in the US believe in a higher power. Looks like you are in the minority. You can contact your atheist buddies to vote but it will still not change that fact. Note, I respect the fact that others are atheist but don't try to slap me in the face with it.
    I've found that Atheists have a belief system and wish to proselytize it, while atheists simply have formed an opinion of live and let live.

It's the conservatives that are in the majority whether they are God-fearing or not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    I've found that Atheists have a belief system and wish to proselytize it, while atheists simply have formed an opinion of live and let live.

It's the conservatives that are in the majority whether they are God-fearing or not.
    How do we define a conservative. My definition is probably different than yours. I think everyone agrees that fiscal responsibility is a conservative value. How many individuals and politicians practice what they preach? Not many by the enormous debt individuals and politicians have racked up.

Secondly, this live and let live has not bode well for our current society. You and I are approximately the same age. Old farts. When we were kids, we went out and played all day and our parents did not worry about us. We did not lock our house in the daytime. What has happened? This live and let live by faux conservatives and others has brought us to moral decay. So called conservatives that do not have a problem with gay marriage and legalizing drugs are leading us down the wrong path. Just another dagger in the demise of this country in my opinion.

Thirdly, we have so called conservatives on this board that despise people of religion, and jump out of the bushes to deride religious beliefs at every opportunity. That is not what I call live and let live. I am not here to convert anyone but if you want to bash Christians, I will not remain silent. In other words, I do not have an agenda like some do here.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 09-14-2011 at 01:59 PM.

My belief system wasn't listed.

I'm a conservative (I guess) and I believe in a collective power, but not a higher one.

God exists in us and through us, but not as an external anthropomorphic omnipotence. We are to God as the waves are to the ocean. One does not exist without the other.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    My belief system wasn't listed.

I'm a conservative (I guess) and I believe in a collective power, but not a higher one.

God exists in us and through us, but not as an external anthropomorphic omnipotence. We are to God as the waves are to the ocean. One does not exist without the other.
    Pigeonholing everyone into a box does not bode well for our ultimate goal of defeating Obama and the Democrats. However, that seems to be a high priority for some atheists, RINO's and libertarians.

Too political for Lounge, moving.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg