Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 This could become very interesting... 
    Cherokee Indians:We are free to oust blacks...
    (snip)

The nation's second-largest Indian tribe said on Tuesday that it would not be dictated to by the U.S. government over its move to banish 2,800 African Americans from its citizenship rolls.

"The Cherokee Nation will not be governed by the BIA," Joe Crittenden, the tribe's acting principal chief, said in a statement responding to the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs.

(snip)

The dispute stems from the fact that some wealthy Cherokee owned black slaves who worked on their plantations in the South. By the 1830s, most of the tribe was forced to relocate to present-day Oklahoma, and many took their slaves with them. The so-called Freedmen are descendants of those slaves.

After the Civil War, in which the Cherokee fought for the South, a treaty was signed in 1866 guaranteeing tribal citizenship for the freed slaves.

(snip)

The African Americans lost their citizenship last month when the Cherokee Supreme Court voted to support the right of tribal members to change the tribe's constitution on citizenship matters.

(snip)
    A battle of tribal Constitution vs. US Constitution maybe. Indian tribes are recognized as sovereign nations by treaty.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

I know this might not be a very popular viewpoint among some people, but I think it's time we completely did away with the U.S. Tribal system, the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and the treaties that we mostly didn't live up to anyway. This is a continent we share now, and that is never going to change. We should be one America by now, and having little spots of sovereign territory dotting our collective landscapes has never been a very good solution to our problems.

In America, we have freedom of religion and are thankfully still largely self-deterministic in our nature, which would allow the tribes to assimilate into America, and still follow their own religions and familial traditions without needing separate councils and laws. We European settlers aren't going away, that's never, ever going to happen. The Native Americans stuck on reservations, aside from gaming, are wasting away as a people due to poverty and isolationism. Most natives today, at least those I know and have met through the USMC, have a strong sense of American values and are glad to be Americans, so I don't see what the purpose of the reservation system is anymore.

I am the only one who sees the modern day tribal and reservation systems as silly to the point of wasting our time and resources?
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    .............I am the only one who sees the modern day tribal and reservation systems as silly to the point of wasting our time and resources?.........
    No. I second the motion. In almost every instance the conquered nation is required to assimilate itself into the new nation.

.....On the other hand, there are certain areas which may be considered relevant to Indian history and tradition. These areas should be made part of the National Park system and maintained by the U.S. government.

One nation, one land.

Most Indians embrace the American Way. THere are those who want to cling to victimhood...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Fabulous Poster
    If you look around on the web, you'll find videos of Henry Louis Gates (of Obama beer fame) , Harvard professor, debunking a great deal of the "black and native American" belief system.

Now in fairness to the blacks, while some of them have built up a considerable folklore on the subject, there are also millions of caucasian Americans who make claim of Indian ancestry based on nothing more that "someone told me".

Grandfathers and uncles have been filling little kids full of BS on this subject for generations, often themselves believing it. It's simply rarely the case. If you actually study your family history, then you will also be studying US history. While it's more possible amongst those whose ancestry follows the trail west (the rules were more lax) it is extremely unlikely that an Easterner has any provable Indian ancestry. People like to repeat the "my great great grandmother was....." but do they actually think about what that would mean? That would mean that she could not go to school with white children, and that her children could not go to school with white children. It didn't happen. It's just what people tell little kids who are fascinated with Indians the same way they are with horses.

For black people, a people who have been told and who believe sincerely in the importance of their oral history, it's even harder to break this BS out. But Henry Lyons did it with genetic testing. The looks of disappointment on the faces of the celebrities he tested is a little heart wrenching, something else taken away. But then he gives them the good news, which is that he knows where their ancestors came from, almost down to the village in Ghana or Cote d"Ivoire. And then they light up.

I don't know what the fascination is with claiming Indian ancestry.

Now, what is cool is looking at our common ancestors and those who descended from them. The Indians who live in Russia remove any doubt where the Plains Indians of the US came from.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    No. I second the motion. In almost every instance the conquered nation is required to assimilate itself into the new nation.

.....On the other hand, there are certain areas which may be considered relevant to Indian history and tradition. These areas should be made part of the National Park system and maintained by the U.S. government.

One nation, one land.
    I am also in agreement, Nixon is to blame for a lot for our current native American policy.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Getting back to the OP, I wonder which victim group the media will side with? The expulsion of former slaves by one of the premier victim groups in America is a delicious irony, and I can't wait to see how it plays out.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Getting back to the OP, I wonder which victim group the media will side with? The expulsion of former slaves by one of the premier victim groups in America is a delicious irony, and I can't wait to see how it plays out.
    I second that

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I always ask the question to Libtards who want to chant the reparations meme if they are going to ask for some of the money from the Cherokee's that owned slaves and had plantations in the South prior to their forced march to Oklahoma.

They always look confused on that one.

But you're right it will be curious to see which victim class they side with.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I always ask the question to Libtards who want to chant the reparations meme if they are going to ask for some of the money from the Cherokee's that owned slaves and had plantations in the South prior to their forced march to Oklahoma.

They always look confused on that one.

But you're right it will be curious to see which victim class they side with.
    There were also free blacks in the south who owned slaves. One, I think in Louisiana, had a sugar plantation and was the third largest owner of slaves in the state.