Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I predict a new surge in Iraq 
    gator
    Call me silly but I think there might be an insurgent surge in Iraq prior to Election Day.

Sort of an Iraqi Tet in order to sway Americans voters that McCain was wrong and Obama was right.

It would give the American Left the opportunity to scream "all is lost", just like in 1968.

What do you think?

I agree.

They did the same thing during the elections for Congress a while back IIRC

The liberals make us extrememly weak with their support of all things un american, wether or not you agree w/ Iraq they know how to play the media who will all to willing play the public
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt

Don't bet on it. Things are pretty well in hand over there. You might see some renewed intrest by the press in covering things over there - but that's about all I expect.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Don't bet on it. Things are pretty well in hand over there. You might see some renewed intrest by the press in covering things over there - but that's about all I expect.
    I'll bet on it, although it means I'd have to agree with Gator. All it takes is a coordinated suicide attack on a crowded place, and that's what terrorists do the best. Unless there's a leak or a mole in the network, it'd be almost impossible to detect and to prevent.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post
    I'll bet on it, although it means I'd have to agree with Gator. All it takes is a coordinated suicide attack on a crowded place, and that's what terrorists do the best. Unless there's a leak or a mole in the network, it'd be almost impossible to detect and to prevent.
    It wouldn't do the terrorists any good to attack in the US because it would make the strong McCain seem the better choice.

It would only make sense to attack in Iraq to show that McCain's claims of successful are not accurate.

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened. It worked with the Spanish just before theiir election.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    It wouldn't do the terrorists any good to attack in the US because it would make the strong McCain seem the better choice.

It would only make sense to attack in Iraq to show that McCain's claims of successful are not accurate.
    It pains me to agree with you, but then even a broken clock is right twice a day. This is the most likely COA for the bad guys and the most dangerous. Expect some sort of attempt at playing the election, just as they did during the congressional elections in 2006. The fact that the attacks fail is irrelevent, as long as they make the news cycle and our media has some violent imagery to run alongside their predictions of gloom and doom. In fact, I would bet that the current drop in SIGACTs is probably the calm before the storm, as the remaining insurgents stockpile ordnance for one last push.

During OIF III, a group of us were watching some newscast from Baghdad where they were talking about rocket fire into the Green Zone, with the talking head standing in front of a plume of thick, black smoke. We couldn't figure out what kind of rocket had that signature until one of the convoy security company commanders said, "Wait a minute, I know where that is! That's the tire yard!" His guys drove past it all the time. It seems that they had a tire fire going and the media used it as a backdrop. Expect a lot of that a couple of weeks before the election.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 09-14-2008 at 11:02 PM.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    It pains me to agree with you, but then even a broken clock is right twice a day. This is the most likely COA for the bad guys and the most dangerous. Expect some sort of attempt at playing the election, just as they did during the congressional elections in 2006. The fact that the attacks fail is irrelevent, as long as they make the news cycle and our media has some violent imagery to run alongside their predictions of gloom and doom. In fact, I would bet that the current drop in SIGACTs is probably the calm before the storm, as the remaining insurgents stockpile ordnance for one last push.

During OIF III, a group of us were watching some newscast from Baghdad where they were talking about rocket fire into the Green Zone, with the talking head standing in front of a plume of thick, black smoke. We couldn't figure out what kind of rocket had that signature until one of the convoy security company commanders said, "Wait a minute, I know where that is! That's the tire yard!" His guys drove past it all the time. It seems that they had a tire fire going and the media used it as a backdrop. Expect a lot of that a couple of weeks before the election.
    Those bastards in the media are worse than the enemy, in fact they are the enemy of America !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Those bastards in the media are worse than the enemy, in fact they are the enemy of America !
    Air Force General Curtis LeMay once got fed up with a lieutenant who was briefing him on Soviet capabilities, because he kept referring to the Soviets as the enemy. Finally, GEN LeMay interrupted him and said, "Son, the Russians aren't our enemy, they're our adversary. Our enemy is the Navy."

Al Qaeda, Iran and the various fundamentalist Islamic death cults are our adversaries. The media is our enemy.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    One of the great tragedies in America is when that dickhead Walther Cronkite came on TV and announce that all is lost in Vietnam. He made that stupid assertion after one of the greatest American military victories ever achieved during the Tet offensive of 1968.

Not only did the American forces in Vietnam beat back a massive assault by the Communists but they literally destroyed the Viet Cong as a military force. After Tet in January and the follow up May offensive the VC ceased to exist as a viable military force in Vietnam.

Walther Cronkite did a great disservice to America by making that announcement. Americans were stupid to believe the sonofabitch.

If the Insurgents are able to launch any kind of an offensive in Iraq then the Left Wing media will be all over it like white on rice. They will proclaim that McCain was wrong and Obama was right. They will proclaim that victory is impossible and that Obama’s plan to withdraw the troops before the mission is completed is the only thing that is possible. There will be dozens of Walther Cronkites on TV every night.

As we all know we American people are some of the dumbest shitheads on the face of the earth and will believe what the media is telling us. A significant offensive in Iraq could sway the election and the Insurgents know it.

The best possible scenario was for us to have never got involved in Middle East politics to start with and to have not invaded Iraq for any discernible good reason. Since we were stupid and have spent the 40 years getting involved in foreign entanglements that have nothing to do with our on security then we will have to eat the shit pies as they are served to us.

I fear the Insurgents and Left Wing media are about to serve up another king size slice of shit pie and we are all going to have to take a bite. I hope I am wrong. Maybe we have beaten back the Insurgents to the point where they can’t launch a real offensive. However, Gen Petraeus has said the peace is fragile so who knows?