Thread: While driving into town (we live in a rural area) with my son

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 While driving into town (we live in a rural area) with my son 
    They're so touchy! Just can't wait to be offended.

asjr (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 04:48 PM
    Original message
    While driving into town (we live in a rural area) with my son
    today, we passed the local skating rink. Now that school is out they have added more hours. But what absolutely flabbergasted me was the sign on the marquee. "Christian Skate Night" and gave the hours. I don't remember the hours I was in such shock. I am going to call them and ask which nights Muslims and Jews can skate. Will they have a bouncer if a muslim or Jew tries to get in? I know that I live in TN and fundamentals have a strong hold on most people here, but that just takes the cake.
    Does anyone else here fail to see the problem with a private business having a Christian Skate Night?

RedCappedBandit (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 04:50 PM
    Response to Original message
    1. Wow
    Pathetic.
    YEBBA (989 posts) Sun Jun-08-08 04:52 PM
    4. MY LOCAL RINK HAS A CHRISTIAN NIGHT
    WHAT A PUKE

THEY ARE SO AFRAID OF OTHER IDEAS.
    ?????

patrice (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 04:53 PM
    6. That's what churches have become, One Stop Shopping Social Clubs,mutual flattery societies,"misfits"
    need not apply. And if a Misfit does get in, s/he will be counseled to enlist in the Military, if they're young enough.
    There's some common sense in there, but overall people are disgusted by the idea that Christians skate. How dare they!

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3407327
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Christian skate nights are popular here, too. It generally means that the music being played is either Christian, or at the least, family-friendly. It's safe to bring young kids, they won't go home talking rap-trash. I'm sure the idea that some "fundies" actually raise kids that don't drop the F bomb or any other "bombs" is completely offensive to the DUmpMonkeys.

Just for the record, no one carries "Christian ID cards," no one checks off your church affliation at the door, and no one really cares who comes...so long as they keep a clean mouth and dress in such a way that no "private parts" become public.
    Last edited by MrsSmith; 06-08-2008 at 08:25 PM.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Well it's an idea in the works under Rove's new leadership... :D
    Woe to those who call evil good
    and good evil,
    who put darkness for light
    and light for darkness,
    who put bitter for sweet
    and sweet for bitter.

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    and clever in their own sight.

Isaiah 5:20-21

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Christian skate nights are popular here, too. It generally means that the music being played is either Christian, or at the least, family-friendly. It's safe to bring young kids, they won't go home talking rap-trash. I'm sure the idea that some "fundies" actually raise kids that don't drop the F bomb or any other "bombs" is completely offensive to the DUmpMonkeys.

Just for the record, no one carries "Christian ID cards," no one checks off your church affliation at the door, and no one really cares who comes...so long as they keep a clean mouth and dress in such a way that no "private parts" become public.
    you havent gotten your Christian ID card yet? You need to talk to your VRWC chapter C.O. its a requirement to get your VRWC checks cashed. You need your VRWC membership AND now your Christian ID to cash your paycheck.

This is nuts.

Skating rinks run all kinds of special events: seniors, teens, couples, etc. "Christian Skate" just uses popular Christian pop and rock for the music and enforces the rules against groping and dirty dancing. That's it.

If the rink was located in Dearborn, I'm sure they'd have "Muslim Skate" with popular Muslim music and some kind of dress code for women. It's about the demographics, not indoctrination.

To be fair, a lot of DUers get it:
    dmordue (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 05:04 PM
    11. Anyone can come it means they play christian rock instead of other fare
    Dark (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 05:19 PM
    15. So what? It's a private business, and it's catering to a group of clientele
    Prisoner_Number_Six (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 05:20 PM
    16. It sounds like that really frightens you for some reason.
    A church group no doubt reserved the rink and paid for it.
    BerryBush (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 08:21 PM
    Response to Reply #20
    23. I really do think it just means they play Christian music.
    I don't think they could legally prohibit anyone who wasn't Christian from using the rink that night! I think it's just that, well, chances are if they play only Christian music that night, chances are they're going to attract more Christians than non-Christians. I'm sure that if someone went up to the door and said "I'm not Christian, can I still skate?" they'd say "Sure, pay the money and you're in."

Of course, there are probably a lot of Christians who'd stay away on those nights because they're not into the whole "Christian music" thing.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    [SIZE="2"]Christian skate nights are popular here, too. It generally means that the music being played is either Christian, or at the least, family-friendly.
    It's really just walking on frozen water. :)

If the sign did say Muslim Skate night, the DUmp would be praising the place for their multiculturalism. Since it's Christian, it therefore must be attacked.

Eyelids
    Its roller skating without the fun!

or ice skating. whatever.

I only skate on Wiccan Skating Night. :D (That should tell you how much I skate.)

DUmiies are always one the lookout for a reason to be offended or depressed. If it weren't this it would be something else to bitch and whine about.