1. #1 America’s Poorest States 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    The U.S. Census Bureau released two pieces of widely followed data yesterday — one on poverty and the other on median income for 2010. The most interesting findings in this release were the state-by-state figures, especially when compared to national averages. A closer look at the statistics shows that a relatively small number of states suffer such widespread levels of low income and poverty that they skew the national numbers downward.

10. North Carolina

> Median income: $43,275
    > Poverty rate: 16.1% (tied for 9th highest)
    > Without health insurance: 16.7% (13th highest)
    > Unemployment: 10.1% (9th highest)
    SNIP

9. Alabama

> Median income: $42,218
    > Poverty rate: 16.1% (tied for 9th highest)
    > Without health insurance: 14.4% (21st highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 10.0% (10th highest)

SNIP

8. Kentucky

> Median income: $42,091
    > Poverty rate: 17.3% (6th highest)
    > Without health insurance: 15.5% (18th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 9.5% (13th highest)
    SNIP

7. South Carolina

> Median income: $42,059
    > Poverty rate: 14.9% (16th highest)
    > Without health insurance: 17.6% (12th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 10.9% (4th highest)

SNIP

6. Montana

> Median income: $42,005
    > Poverty rate: 13.4% (24th highest)
    > Without health insurance: 16.3% (16th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 7.7% (18th lowest)

SNIP

5. Louisiana

> Median income: $41,896
    > Poverty rate: 18% (4th highest)
    > Without health insurance: 18% (11th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 7.6% (17th lowest)

SNIP

4. West Virginia

> Median income: $40,824
    > Poverty rate: 15.7% (12th highest)
    > Without health insurance: 13.9% (25th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 8.1% (tied for 24th lowest)

SNIP

3. Tennessee

> Median income: $40,026
    > Poverty rate: 16.1% (11th highest)
    > Without health insurance: 14.7% (20th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 9.8% (11th highest)

SNIP

2. Arkansas

> Median income: $38,600
    > Poverty rate: 16.5% (8th highest)
    > Without health insurance: 18.5% (9th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 8.2% (25th highest)

1. Mississippi

> Median income: $36,850
    > Poverty rate: 21.3% (the highest)
    > Without health insurance: 18.7% (8th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 10.4% (7th highest)

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...oorest-states/

Nobody ever balances those statistics against the cost of living in those states.

It's Montana being on the list that strikes me-you don't see a lot of poverty-striken Montana residents on the news. I've heard that the cost of living in states like Montana and Wyoming is low. I have coworkers from places like Mississippi who go back there when they retire, because they bought a bunch of rural land really cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Nobody ever balances those statistics against the cost of living in those states.

It's Montana being on the list that strikes me-you don't see a lot of poverty-striken Montana residents on the news. I've heard that the cost of living in states like Montana and Wyoming is low. I have coworkers from places like Mississippi who go back there when they retire, because they bought a bunch of rural land really cheap.
    You don't even have to buy in a rural area in Mississippi. Most places in most towns are fairly inexpensive.

But I have to smile........"places like Mississippi"...?? And just what "kind" of "place" is Mississippi?;)

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    You don't even have to buy in a rural area in Mississippi. Most places in most towns are fairly inexpensive.

But I have to smile........"places like Mississippi"...?? And just what "kind" of "place" is Mississippi?;)

I didn't mean anything by it. I meant from southern states, mostly. African-americans who buy land down in the areas where their families came from. They come up here to go to college, get jobs/spouses and stay until they retire. Then they go back to Mississippi or Alabama and live in the country.

Noon is right. Even though I was born in northern Iowa, my real roots are deep in the Missouri Ozarks through my Dad (born in a real log cabin near Norwood in south central Missouri in 1895).

When I retired, we moved down here. The motivating factors were the friendliness of the people, who are pretty conservative, and the lower cost of living.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I didn't mean anything by it. I meant from southern states, mostly. African-americans who buy land down in the areas where their families came from. They come up here to go to college, get jobs/spouses and stay until they retire. Then they go back to Mississippi or Alabama and live in the country.
    :) I know. I'm just yankin' your chain. Lots of retirees, and especially black folks, come to Mississippi to retire.

In all my travels, though, I have not seen an area attract retirees the way Tennessee does. Get around Bristol, out in East Tennessee and ever 'crick & holler' has a retiree or two in it.

In fact, retirement would be a lot tougher for us in another state. Here, we pay 900/year property tax. That would be hard to match, most places.

:) I know. I'm just yankin' your chain. Lots of retirees, and especially black folks, come to Mississippi to retire.

In all my travels, though, I have not seen an area attract retirees the way Tennessee does. Get around Bristol, out in East Tennessee and ever 'crick & holler' has a retiree or two in it.

In fact, retirement would be a lot tougher for us in another state. Here, we pay 900/year property tax. That would be hard to match, most places.

I have seen TN mostly from I-75, but what I've seen is beautiful. I drove to Florida once in November, when the colors were peaking in the mountains. Michigan falls are great, but we don't really have mountains. I think the highest spot in Michigan is in the UP and is just under 2000 ft.

My dad, like so many retirees from Michigan, lives in sunny Florida.

Fabulous Poster

That's about average here.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    That's about average here.
    Friend of my wife has a small 3 bedroom. Their paying about $3500 a year. Gotta love Illinois.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Friend of my wife has a small 3 bedroom. Their paying about $3500 a year. Gotta love Illinois.

I have a small 3 bedroom house. I pay about $1700 in property taxes. I live in the county in Michigan with the lowest property tax rates (Macomb).