Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Whopping new tolls take effect on New Jersey-New York roadways 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    How's this for a deal -- $12 for a ticket to New York City! .......But there's a catch: the fare is for drivers entering Gotham via bridges and tunnels from New Jersey, and it's the wallet-busting toll that replaced the $8 fare over the weekend despite a last-ditch attempt by the Automobile Association of America (AAA) to block it. ...,The new toll affects two tunnels and four bridges: Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, George Washington Bridge, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing. There are ways to lessen the sticker shock -- E-ZPass holders pay less, for instance

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nati...-roadways.html

Fabulous Poster
    So would anyone object to the people of New Jersey breaking the gates on the bridges and refusing to pay the toll?

It's $4.00 to use either the Ambassador Bridge or the Detroit/Windsor tunnel to cross to Canada from Detroit. The Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron is $3.00, and I think the Mackinac Bridge is also $3.00.

They have lower rates that daily commuters can take advantage of, though. I don't know too many people who commute across the border, since 9-11. It used to be really easy to go to Windsor for lunch, now you need either a passport or a special Michigan driver's license.

I personally don't have a problem with tolls for highways and bridges provided the receipts are strictly used for the maintenance and operation of same. I really can't think of a more fair way to support such infrastructure than charging the people that actually use it. It sure beat the feds taxing folks in NJ for a highway or bridge in California and vice versa. The problem at the moment is that both are in place.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I personally don't have a problem with tolls for highways and bridges provided the receipts are strictly used for the maintenance and operation of same. I really can't think of a more fair way to support such infrastructure than charging the people that actually use it. It sure beat the feds taxing folks in NJ for a highway or bridge in California and vice versa. The problem at the moment is that both are in place.
    I agree, but $12 is a bit excessive. If your a commuter, that's a good grip extra your paying each week. Certainly not going to be all to helpful with the state of the economy today.
    Last edited by djones520; 09-19-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I agree, but $12 is a bit excessive. If your a commuter, that's a good grip extra your paying each week. Certainly not going to be all to helpful with the state of the economy today.
    Perhaps, but it is only excessive in that commuters are also being taxed to support roads and bridges they may never see. I will add that there are other ways to get into the city.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    When I lived in Jersey I used the Goethals, Bayonne and Outerbridge Crossings on a regular basis mostly to visit relatives and go shopping. Don't miss it!!! :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

In the St Louis area, the bridges are free. Don't mind paying the $1 fee for taking the Skyway bridge from Manatee County to Tampa. It's a long bridge and causeway and a beautiful little trip.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    The problem I see with that reasoning is that transportation funds are collected at the federal level to maintain critical roadways, which are paths of commerce. Sure, Blue State gasoline taxes prop up red state highways (had to toss a little politics in it) but those red state highways help to transport products from ports to people and producers to ports. So if California is paying part of the expenses of Kansas, we need to consider that the cars built in Oakland are delivered to Overland Park and points east.

I think it's elitist to charge to get into a city, but not to get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I think it's elitist to charge to get into a city, but not to get out of it.
    Yes, but one has to factor in that you're stupid when taking into consideration anything that you think.