Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The Most Miserable Cities In America 
    Combine high unemployment, a stagnant economy and basement-level housing prices, and what have you got?

The most miserable cities in America, according to Brookings, of course! The think tank combined every major U.S. city's unemployment rate, level of employment, gross metropolitan product and housing prices to create an index of utter wretchedness.
    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-m...#ixzz1YbS85p60
    See the list here

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    SR & SLW must not be pleased:

#6 Sarasota, Florida

Unemployment: up 4.2%

Employment: down 15.3%

Gross Metropolitan Product: down 9.1%

Home prices: down 55.4%

Employment, GMP and home prices measured from peak through Q2 2011. Unemployment measured from Q2 2008 through Q2 2011. Data provided by Brookings MetroMonitor.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Fabulous Poster
    So this list has Detroit at #12, and yet I would rather live in any of the cities which are "more miserable" than Detroit.

Man, ya really gotta feel for those cities where home values are down 50 and 60%! That's a lot of dreams and plans vanishing into thin air.

I could easily have been caught in all that. A few years back I was offered a 6 figure salary to move to California. You just never know what you are really getting or really turning down. We just lucked out, is all.:)

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    So this list has Detroit at #12, and yet I would rather live in any of the cities which are "more miserable" than Detroit.

It doesn't help when they show a picture of an abandoned factory to represent Detroit, yet show happy seniors in their Florida pictures, or showgirls in Vegas, football games in one city, or Disney Princesses to represent Orlando.

We don't have Vegas showgirls, or Disney Princesses, but we do have professional athletic teams with nice stadiums and dancers from the titty bars!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It doesn't help when they show a picture of an abandoned factory to represent Detroit, yet show happy seniors in their Florida pictures, or showgirls in Vegas, football games in one city, or Disney Princesses to represent Orlando.

We don't have Vegas showgirls, or Disney Princesses, but we do have professional athletic teams with nice stadiums and dancers from the titty bars!
    .......Are you big into titty bars ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    .......Are you big into titty bars ?

Not as much as you are into prison rape fantasies.

Banned
    The author must have turned a blind eye to cities in the northeast such as Camden NJ and Baltimore MD. In fact, any city/state that has extreme cold weather, sky high property taxes, high local, state taxes and high cost of living expenses would be miserable to me.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 09-21-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    I have to step in and defend Detroit here for a second. YES it is true that some of the areas in Detroit are run down, but it is no different than any other Democrat run big city. In fact, I've been in far worse areas of Chicago than I have in Detroit.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    I have to step in and defend Detroit here for a second. YES it is true that some of the areas in Detroit are run down, but it is no different than any other Democrat run big city. In fact, I've been in far worse areas of Chicago than I have in Detroit.
    Same for St. Louis. I've been to the bad parts of Detroit. But there are places in this area I will NOT go into.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.