Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    The punishment for doing crimes is being stripped of your freedoms, being unable to move around, having every moment of your day dictated to you rather than your own choice, being unable to live with your family, all of the simple joys of life, and the very basic component of being in control of yourself are taken away. There's no need to torture people on top of that.
    What about the simple joys of life that were taken from their victims. Again, you are victimizing the criminal. If they want to keep their liberties, they should abide by the law.

This isn't Saudi Arabia. That is sick.

It would be an effective deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    What about the simple joys of life that were taken from their victims.
    I feel bad for victims of crimes and I think people who commit crimes should be punished, stripped of their freedom, and seperated from society so they cannot harm anyone else.

Wanting to torture people on top of that is just perverted. It's not going to bring back victims, it's not going to un-do crimes. It's sick.

Again, you are victimizing the criminal. If they want to keep their liberties, they should abide by the law.
    I'm not "victimizing" the criminal, I'm recognizing that criminals are people too, they are human beings who suffer and love and feel pain and joy. I think criminals should be punished but getting joy out of torturing another human being is just plain evil.

If a person has a strong sense of "justice", and goes around picking up prostitutes and torturing them and murdering them, that is absolutely wrong. Just because he's doing it out of a sense of justice doesn't make it any less wrong. If a state does it though, that's okay? That's obscene.

Laws are necessary, enforcement of laws is necessary, punishment is necessary, but when you take it beyond that and try to torture for vengeance, you become no better than the evil people you are condemning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

It's not. The statistics are clear on this.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Wee Wee, why do you keep bringing up torture? Lethal injection is virtually painless.

It was brought up by another poster and then the subject came up of making prisons as awful as possible for some reason.

Prisons should have 3 purposes:
    1. Isolate violent criminals, so that they are not a threat to the rest of society.
    2. Strip the freedoms of criminals, punishing them for their crimes.
    3. Rehabilitate criminals, giving them therapy, work skills, psychological treatment, so that when they are released they can be productive members of society.

Killing people doesn't need to be a part of that, making their living conditions as awful as possible to torture them isn't necessary and it's wrong.

3. Rehabilitate criminals, giving them therapy, work skills, psychological treatment, so that when they are released they can be productive members of society.

In the United States, 53% of arrested males and 39% of arrested females are re-incarcerated (2003).[6]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recidivism

The only thing prisons teach criminals, is how to become better criminals.

People like Wei give little to no value for a human life. When someone takes a life by murder it is worth just that another life. To say a human life is only worth 10 20 30 years or even the rest of your days is devaluing the life that was stolen.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I don't think so. Albert Fish, H.Mudd looked FORWARD to their execution.

So....yeah.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

I I'm recognizing that criminals are people too, they are human beings who suffer and love and feel pain and joy. .
    Someone hand me a tissue...this is HEARTBREAKING!! Criminals are people too? You should watch an episode of Gangland...and get back to me.