1. #1 A Papal Homecoming to a Combative Germany [Protest by Gays, Feminists, Atheists] 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    BERLIN — Instead of a pleasant visit to his native land, the trip to Germany this week by Pope Benedict XVI promises to be a journey to one of the front lines in the battle over the future of the Roman Catholic Church.

The protests and demonstrations announced for the pope’s visit are a far cry from the jubilation set off here by his election to the papacy more than six years ago. There was a naïveté to that celebration, which ignored the collision course between an increasingly secular society and a church leader set on a conservative, traditional path.

Benedict will be greeted with demands for change on a variety of controversial issues, including the celibacy requirement for priests, women’s role in the church, gay rights and aid for victims of sexual abuse by priests. Many in Parliament have threatened to boycott his speech to its members.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/wo...d.html?_r=2&hp

I never understand these kinds of protests. Nobody has to be a catholic. The Catholic church can have whatever rules it wants, as long as they don't force people to join their religion.

I would understand protests regarding the pedophile scandals and the church's protection of the guilty priests, but that's not what this protest is about. It's about gays and women wanting to be priests. There are plenty of churches that ordain women and gays. Go join one of those instead of expecting the catholic church to change.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I never understand these kinds of protests. Nobody has to be a catholic. The Catholic church can have whatever rules it wants, as long as they don't force people to join their religion.
    That's a bit simplistic.

The RC is a sovereign state with an observer seat at the United Nations.

The RC has ambassadors to other nations, and they have ambassadors to the RC.

The RC is a spider web of multi-national corporations operating both for profit and as charitable institutions- often contracting with governments and receiving tax dollars.

The RC lobbies governments and in the United States has many operatives who are in violation of laws against unregistered agents of foreign governments, but who are never prosecuted because of the blurred lines between the American Catholic churches and the Vatican.

The Vatican has tentacles which reach into the highest levels of power in the US and Western Europe.

The Vatican manipulates public perceptions and policy in Africa and South America in ways which destabilize governments and thwart progress.

The Vatican is a vestige of the Roman Empire and still wields considerable power. It's not your neighborhood Full Gospel Church.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

I would understand protests regarding the pedophile scandals and the church's protection of the guilty priests, but that's not what this protest is about. It's about gays and women wanting to be priests. There are plenty of churches that ordain women and gays. Go join one of those instead of expecting the catholic church to change.
    I can't believe it,....You do Have a modicum of common sense..And You're being,....... rational !