1. #1 Union coming to my workplace? 
    There is a election this friday to see if the privately operated prison I work at will be getting a union. What's really fascinating about it all is getting to see first hand the blatant politicking being done by the union. Promising the moon and the sun and the stars, while demonizing the evil company. They sent out a huge packet of propaganda that I keep meaning to scan and post here, just to show it off. I don't have it in hand, or I'd get it up here, along with links to the site that a big chunk of it came from.

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks. Most folks I've talked to are all for the promised pay raises and better benefits. I'm doubtful, myself if enough people will actually go and vote to start the process, and if the votes will be to unionize. It's not like things are that horrific at work, or that we get paid minimum wage, it's a simple matter of someone promising bigger and better things. My two bits is simply that unions tend to create at least as many problems as they solve, along with simply watching first hand how they have chased so much airplane manufacturing work out of Wichita, Ks and seeing it second hand in places like Detroit.

Now that I got the thread started, it should motivate and remind me to get those papers and links shared as well. The union is SPFPA, here's their site. It doesn't have any of the good stuff they mailed out, but there was a website on it that will get put in here for everyone's edutainment.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Union's will have employees and management at each others throats within the year. Everyone will have the same pay regardless of years worked or how good they are. They will outright lie to you when the company wants to make changes. Benefits might be oik, mine were pretty decent but you'll have these stupid ass rules with them.

Mine had: 6 week bank before using, paid for eye care and dental during that time but could NOT use either if you were laid off (which is what the bank was for:mad:).
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    There is a election this friday to see if the privately operated prison I work at will be getting a union. What's really fascinating about it all is getting to see first hand the blatant politicking being done by the union. Promising the moon and the sun and the stars, while demonizing the evil company. They sent out a huge packet of propaganda that I keep meaning to scan and post here, just to show it off. I don't have it in hand, or I'd get it up here, along with links to the site that a big chunk of it came from.

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks. Most folks I've talked to are all for the promised pay raises and better benefits. I'm doubtful, myself if enough people will actually go and vote to start the process, and if the votes will be to unionize. It's not like things are that horrific at work, or that we get paid minimum wage, it's a simple matter of someone promising bigger and better things. My two bits is simply that unions tend to create at least as many problems as they solve, along with simply watching first hand how they have chased so much airplane manufacturing work out of Wichita, Ks and seeing it second hand in places like Detroit.

Now that I got the thread started, it should motivate and remind me to get those papers and links shared as well. The union is SPFPA, here's their site. It doesn't have any of the good stuff they mailed out, but there was a website on it that will get put in here for everyone's edutainment.
    I went to the webiste and clicked on newsletters...they had one from 2009....two years ago, really?

We have a couple of private owned Federal detention centers in Nevada:

Employees at the CCA Nevada Southern Detention Center will be paid based on federal wage determination. A competitive starting wage of $25 per hour for entry-level detention officers is but one feature of a comprehensive compensation package, which also includes:

•Medical and Dental/Vision Insurance
    •Life Insurance
    •Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance
    •Medical Flexible Spending Account
    •401 (k) Savings and Retirement Plan
    •529 College Savings Plan
    •Paid Time Off (PTO)
    •Leadership Training and Career Development Opportunities

The last I heard the starting wage is now $28 an hour...an employee with a year experience that is promoted, makes around $32 an hour.

http://www.cca.com/nevada/

I think OJ Simpson lives in one near lurkalot's house

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    It's not like things are that horrific at work, or that we get paid minimum wage, it's a simple matter of someone promising bigger and better things. My two bits is simply that unions tend to create at least as many problems as they solve, along with simply watching first hand how they have chased so much airplane manufacturing work out of Wichita, Ks and seeing it second hand in places like Detroit.
    Well, you can count on one thing, they'll want the wages raised by enough to pay the union dues.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Well, you can count on one thing, they'll want the wages raised by enough to pay the union dues.
    My dad was union for years.

Before he retired after almost 40 years. My take home pay was more then his with only 5 years in where I work non union. After they took out for Union Dues. Taxes. His retirement. And so on and so forth.

Now that he is retired, his retirement is unbelievable.

But with that said. Those who retire from where he was at now. Won't get what he did. They offered him more to get him to retire. Too many workers after a merger.

Is it worth it.... totally debatable. Unions opperate on last in, first out if layoffs happen. And my dad suffered that for half his years there. And being laid off sucks bad. Also if there is a union strike at another union shop, you will find your self out too as your union will force you to strike too. Even thou the strike has nothing to do with you, or your work place.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    Union's will have employees and management at each others throats within the year.

That is the one thing that probably bothers me the most about unions. Instead of encouraging management and workers to come together to achieve goals, they tend to pit people against each other.

I have pretty good benefits that get better as I accrue more time. I'm pretty sure I'd have some of them without a union, being a government employee and all. Especially the vacation time provisions, as that is a way to reward long term employees that doesn't really cost the state much. But the longer I work, the larger my pension and the more vacation time I accrue. Next year, it goes up because I'll hit my 25th anniversary.

Update, still haven't gotten an official announcement, but all the scuttlebutt says the vote was overwhelmingly for the union. This vote only give the union the ability to come in and negotiate a contract, after which the employees will vote again on said contract and unionization.

The divisions are starting. So far it's just a little joshing back and forth, at least the one's I've personally been involved in, but they are there.

I swore that propaganda pack we got had a website on it before, but now I can't find it. The front page was a huge warning about "unionbusters" that companies hire for hundreds of thousands of dollars a whack to come in and lie to employees about the great and powerful union. It has a bad clip art cartoon of a rat beside a pic of a guy in a suit with a fistful of cash (and his eyes blacked out for some bizarre reason) declaring we need to watch out for these rats.

My plan was to put in two years here before going in search of new work (cause my job history sucks, too many try this see if it works jobs) but if this hits the fan, I may have to rethink that. Hopefully not, it's not a bad job, most of the people are easy to work with, even most of the inmates aren't that bad to deal with.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!